Some people say the liver is the most neglected organ in the body. That's because it hardly ever calls attention to itself, but works hard to perform hundreds of vital tasks necessary to keep your body functioning smoothly. It's an organ that works quietly, behind the scenes to ensure that all the other important organs have everything they need to function properly.. But this doesn't mean we should neglect the liver, does it?
What Does the Liver Do?
The average liver is about 7 inches long, , about 3 inches thick and takes up about 3 lbs of your body weight. That's a pretty big organ not to notice and you may wonder where it's hiding! The liver is situated just behind the lower right rib cavity.
Just about everything we ingest, we breathe, or absorb through the skin goes through the liver for detoxification. About 80 percent of the blood that leaves the digestive system goes directly to the liver for further processing. The liver converts these nutrients to a form which the body can use to sustain its functions. Poor nutrition can impair liver functions. In contrast, adequate nutrition can lead to the liver regenerating itself to function efficiently. That is why it is important to take liver supplements or liver vitamins to sustain vital functions of the liver.
Here are a few important functions of the liver:
- Detoxifies the body of ingested poisonous substances such as alcohol, nicotine, prescribed drugs, OTC medications and other illegal substances. It also purifies the body of toxins we breathe or absorb through the skin.
- Stores sugar, in the form of carbohydrates, glucose and fats, and regulates its conversion to energy
- Regulates the production and elimination of cholesterol
- Stores iron and certain vitamins and minerals
- Produces blood
- Produces biochemicals that help to clot blood
- Synthesizes protein
vProduces biochemicals, such as bile, needed for the digestion of food
How Do We Overwhelm the Functions of the Liver?
Even though the liver can regenerate itself, our lifestyle can overwhelm the liver.
- Overeating can put a major strain on the liver along with diets rich in saturated fats, high calories and sugars.
- Excessive alcohol consumption or smoking
- Environmental pollutants, chemicals in our foods, cosmetics that we use, even the medication we take may overstress the liver.
- Lack of exercise also contributes to a sluggish liver.
Everyone wants to naturally support a healthy liver. Certain vitamins, minerals and herbs can provide the liver with nutritional support to function as well. Liver supplements and liver vitamins can certainly help fill the nutritional gap.
Liver vitamins promote hepatic functions. Essential vitamins for the liver are Vitamin A, C and the B vitamins. It also includes Vitamin D and minerals such as zinc and magnesium. You can get liver vitamins through natural food sources by including plenty of green vegetables at least two to three times a week in your diet-artichokes, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, wheat grass, barley, spirulina, broccoli are known to support detoxification. Liver vitamins can be easily obtained from a daily vitamin supplement.
Eating a well-balanced diet and getting regular exercise is important for maintaining healthy liver functions. In addition, liver supplements contain specific nutrients that support the liver in today's stressful lifestyle.
- Herbs such as milk thistle have been well-researched and support and restore healthy liver functions.
- Taurine, an important antioxidant that helps support healthy cell functions.
- Psyllium husk helps to bind toxins in the digestive system and restrict their entry into the bloodstream. Psyllium along with probiotics also helps to produce important nutrients required by the liver.
- Other natural ingredients in liver supplements should include artichoke powder, dandelion root extract, slippery elm bark and a blend of lecithin, carrot powder, beetroot powder and peppermint.
With all the heavy-duty work the liver performs, we should consider supplementing our diet with liver vitamins or liver supplements to nourish and provide the fuel it needs to function well.
Liver supplements like Liverol are natural liver supplements that help support the natural and healthy functions of the liver. With a daily dose of liver vitamins, your body will find the nourishment it needs to maintain optimal liver health.