Gastric Balloon - My Journey is about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well nothing I ate yesterday stayed down, shreddies no, yogurt nope, chicken noooooo. :puke:

Dont know what happened really, I had terrible acid all day and slight tummy cramps and dispite my best efforts everything came up within about an hour.

I felt really disheartened to be honest , feel like I am fighting a lossing battle , I could die of starvation at this rate!!! Although I am not actually hungry feel I really should be eating more.

My hormones are all over the place this month still and I feel teary/irritable/angry all at once :banghead:

Help someone need some sanity.

did your clinic give you antacids to take? That might help you...i took lanzoprazole twice a day for the full 6 mths and was never bothered with acid

Dont stress about starving, so long as you can get liquids down you are fine. Try for some soups, and then perhaps those noodle soups with a few small chunks of veges.

Hello all. I had a balloon placed on Wed 5-6. I am over the sickness. I still feel a little pain. It seems I can see my balloon bulging from my belly. Is this my imagination? Also, is anyone using protein shots? Not shots with a needle but like with a shot glass?

lol apparently the bulging is normal, ive heard it goes away when the ballooon comes out only. Protein shots makes sense.

Better day today

Well managed to keep food down all day yipeeee and feel better for it.

I have stuck to dry foods small bit of toast, turkey chunks at lunch and chicken on its own for dinner.

I feel a little refocused after a shakey few days , I guess it it part and parcel of the balloon life, I need to realise that this is a life change and that I will have off days I guess.

Good news in with the sickness I have lost another 1lb so am now just below 12 stone.

With 5 months left I would be happy with another stone perhaps a stone and 1/2. I am doing the race for life on Sunday so thats going to help things along lol.

Thanks for all your helpful posts the last couple of days its really helped having others who have been there or those currently going through the same thing.

Hugs to you all:seeya:

Well managed to keep food down all day yipeeee and feel better for it.

I have stuck to dry foods small bit of toast, turkey chunks at lunch and chicken on its own for dinner.

I feel a little refocused after a shakey few days , I guess it it part and parcel of the balloon life, I need to realise that this is a life change and that I will have off days I guess.

Good news in with the sickness I have lost another 1lb so am now just below 12 stone.

With 5 months left I would be happy with another stone perhaps a stone and 1/2. I am doing the race for life on Sunday so thats going to help things along lol.

Thanks for all your helpful posts the last couple of days its really helped having others who have been there or those currently going through the same thing.

Hugs to you all:seeya:

:waving: Hey what's the latest with you? hope ur doing well. I've had some ups and downs, but not too many downs thankfully. i had to go back to the doc to get the acid meds changed and it all settled down again and has been fine for the last 2 weeks or so. the greta news is that i have lost another 7lbs (whoop whoop) so that's 2 stone so far. i want to los another stone or stone and a half. it's getting harder now though because i have to stop eating before i feel full, more and more often, whereas before i could hardly eat anything, but ti seems that this is most people's experience. i also seem to get the feeling that most peeps weight loss slows down in the middle or at the end.... i really hope that mine continues but it has slowed a little bit. Anyhow, reading some of the stories on this board has really helped me and would love to hear your latest news (but you may have posted it in another thread! doh)

I have a time!

Well, after having my insertion date postponed a couple of times, it's now official as the hospital phoned with a time today. May 27, 11:30 am. I'm starting to feel like it will actually happen. Knock on wood! Looking forward to joining all of you in the ranks of the losers :smilielol5:

7 Weeks in

Well 7 weeks in ...lots of ups and downs thankfully the downs are less frequent now. I have finally decided to accept that salad, courgettes and parsnips are out for the next few months they just seem to make me sick..yuckkk, I know now when I am going to be sick that horrible crampy feeling and there is nothing for it but to wait for it to come up.

Portion size wise I am eating nothing bigger than a small fist full for a main meal and to be honest yogurt for breakkie is about all I can manage in the mornings.

Some days I feel like I just cant eat atall and my other half has force feed me !!! so different to what I used to be like.

I am looking at food completely differently now and just do want greasy/fatty foods.

So for the good news so far I have lost 2 stone 7lb I am below 12 stone for the 1st time in a very long time- I am now 11 stone 8lb my next target is 11 stone. 11 stone would mean a 3 stone loss. I cant remember ever lossing this much , not even on lighter life.

Hope everyone is getting on ok, when you all have a minute would be great to hear an update.

Love to you all

Amyx

Well 7 weeks in ...lots of ups and downs thankfully the downs are less frequent now. I have finally decided to accept that salad, courgettes and parsnips are out for the next few months they just seem to make me sick..yuckkk, I know now when I am going to be sick that horrible crampy feeling and there is nothing for it but to wait for it to come up.

Portion size wise I am eating nothing bigger than a small fist full for a main meal and to be honest yogurt for breakkie is about all I can manage in the mornings.

Some days I feel like I just cant eat atall and my other half has force feed me !!! so different to what I used to be like.

I am looking at food completely differently now and just do want greasy/fatty foods.

So for the good news so far I have lost 2 stone 7lb I am below 12 stone for the 1st time in a very long time- I am now 11 stone 8lb my next target is 11 stone. 11 stone would mean a 3 stone loss. I cant remember ever lossing this much , not even on lighter life.

Hope everyone is getting on ok, when you all have a minute would be great to hear an update.

Love to you all

Amyx

i find it amazing how different everyones experience is - i felt back to normal after 2 weeks and there are times when i wish i was sick after too much food, i can eat as much as i did before and really have to exercise extreme will power but i am also physically exercising which i never did before and i am losing but slowly slowly. You have had an awful time of it its miserable not being well but the results for you are fantastic so very well done at least your being rewarded for ur bad experience.
Well done and keep smiling
Ellen
:seeya:

Well, here I go... I'm less than 24 hours until the insertion. Excited, nervous, scared, relieved, but soon I'll be joining all you guys in this journey!

Oh my god what have I done. I feel so terrible, heart is racing, so hard to get comfortable... my body wants to throw up but I have no food in my stomach to come back up. All I've been able to get down today and yesterday is a tiny bit of jello and some soup. I know it gets better but I'm definitely in the worst stage right now. Owwwwwww. So glad this forum exists or I'd really be questioning myself right now.

Oh my god what have I done. I feel so terrible, heart is racing, so hard to get comfortable... my body wants to throw up but I have no food in my stomach to come back up. All I've been able to get down today and yesterday is a tiny bit of jello and some soup. I know it gets better but I'm definitely in the worst stage right now. Owwwwwww. So glad this forum exists or I'd really be questioning myself right now.

Dont worry about eating just as long as you are keeping down some water , small sips little and often. I found at around day 4 ish that I could manage more than fluids so your doing well.

I know how you feel, if you look back at my blog I wanted mine out for the first week, if you have time off and your able try and sleep as much as possible. To get comfortable try laying slightly propped up on your left hand side , I got this tip from a fellow balloner and even now if I have an uncomfortable day it works for me.

If your in pain try some paracetemol and codeine ( my clinic was happy with this for a couple of days but no more, perhaps check with your clinic as well)

Difficult I know but try and focus on week one weigh in you will have lost weight and be starting to feel a little better.

Hold in there - Hugs Amy

The doctor did give me some pain medication, I have to admit the nausea isn't as bad as the general soreness and discomfort I'm feeling in my stomach. I can't imagine living with this discomfort for 6 months.

The doctor did give me some pain medication, I have to admit the nausea isn't as bad as the general soreness and discomfort I'm feeling in my stomach. I can't imagine living with this discomfort for 6 months.

I remember saying exactly the same thing , honestly I had to be talked out of going back and having it out. Please believe me when I say it gets better, and it gets better quickly in the scheme of things.

I am now 7 weeks in and unless I over eat I rarely notice any discomfort now. I think it was around the of week 1 that the pain lessened enough for me to feel kinda normal and around the end of week 2 that I noticed it less..

At the moment your stomach is trying to get rid of a foreign object and the cramps etc are probably what is causing the pain.

Keep taking your pain meds and sleep as much as possible. I found this site really useful the first couple of weeks , its good to know your not alone.

Have assume that you have been discharged ? Do you have someone at home to help you during the first couple of days?

the first few days really are horrific you genuinely are ill and feel ill like u have some kind of bug or flu, i did not eat for 4 days when i did i puked i spoke to my nurse daily and her advice was water water water i managed 500 mls day 1 and built it up to 2litres a day by day 4 and i found the water helped the excruciating cramps settle more than the meds did if thats any good to u, I also threw up so much and it was mainly water but its amazing how quickly u actually forget the horrible first few days i also kept a diary to re read and remind myself of that awful week to keep me on track-ur doing fine dont worry about food for now all in good time just let ur system adjust first-we are all here with u anyway:waving:

I was definitely not drinking enough water so I am working on getting lots of water in now. My husband bought some popsicles and jello and I have to say they've been going down well. I actually haven't had much nausea, not nearly as much as I expected or have read from others. Perhaps because I have the air-filled balloon which is supposed to reduce the nausea. I do have lots of cramps, although today they're easing off a bit and I've had moments where I feel almost normal, albeit briefly.

I'm not the least bit interested in food, which for me is not normal! It's Saturday, and normally I'd be going to my favourite bagel shop in the morning, snacking all day, then arranging to meet pals at the pub in the evening. No interest in any of that. A fridge full of food at home and no interest there, either. Hope that continues! It's even my birthday today and I told my husband I didn't want any birthday cake! He nearly fell off his chair, he was so shocked.

Once again, hugs to everyone here, it's so great to have this support network.:grouphug:
Alison

I was definitely not drinking enough water so I am working on getting lots of water in now. My husband bought some popsicles and jello and I have to say they've been going down well. I actually haven't had much nausea, not nearly as much as I expected or have read from others. Perhaps because I have the air-filled balloon which is supposed to reduce the nausea. I do have lots of cramps, although today they're easing off a bit and I've had moments where I feel almost normal, albeit briefly.

I'm not the least bit interested in food, which for me is not normal! It's Saturday, and normally I'd be going to my favourite bagel shop in the morning, snacking all day, then arranging to meet pals at the pub in the evening. No interest in any of that. A fridge full of food at home and no interest there, either. Hope that continues! It's even my birthday today and I told my husband I didn't want any birthday cake! He nearly fell off his chair, he was so shocked.

Once again, hugs to everyone here, it's so great to have this support network.:grouphug:
Alison

Happy Birthday!! Glad you are feeling a little better , its great that your not interested in food, thats exactly how I felt and now I am 2 1/2 stone lighter.

Just wait till weigh in day, it will make those first few days worth while.

Keep us posted on yur progress.

Have a fab day Amyx

Hunger?

Hi everyone - I need some advice. While I've lost about 8 pounds to date (I've had the balloon for a week and a half), the last couple of days I've actually started to feel a bit hungry between meals, and the miniscule portions I've been eating aren't making me feel full anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? Especially so soon in the process? Thanks,:confused:
Alison

Hi everyone - I need some advice. While I've lost about 8 pounds to date (I've had the balloon for a week and a half), the last couple of days I've actually started to feel a bit hungry between meals, and the miniscule portions I've been eating aren't making me feel full anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? Especially so soon in the process? Thanks,:confused:
Alison

for those of us who do not experience extreme nausea and discomfort past week 1 + 2 it does not take long for normal feelings to return and hunger is normal its what u do now thats important, i loosley follow the weight watchers points system to keep an eye on what i am eating, i still only fill a slightly larger than everage side plate but i do snack between meals if i am hungry again keeping the food low fat, i have the balloon in since mar 21st and to date I have lost 18 pounds, 8 pounds in week 1 and an average 1/2 pounds a week since then with a couple of weeks stalled weight loss, i will admit i am not rigid with myself my will power is very weak at times but the fact that i can only eat small portions has meant that in 11 weeks i have had no gain which is unheard of for me. I am now trying to focus more on exercise and changing my bad habits etc. I keep looking at the bigger picture which is 24 weeks of having a balloon i am only half way there and it will all add up at the end. i hope this is not disheartening but it took me a few weeks to figure out the balloon does not suppress the appetite it only makes u fuller with less food and i am doing the hard work. good luck stay positive and relax u have 23 weeks to go-plenty of time.:hurray:

for those of us who do not experience extreme nausea and discomfort past week 1 + 2 it does not take long for normal feelings to return and hunger is normal its what u do now thats important, i loosley follow the weight watchers points system to keep an eye on what i am eating, i still only fill a slightly larger than everage side plate but i do snack between meals if i am hungry again keeping the food low fat, i have the balloon in since mar 21st and to date I have lost 18 pounds, 8 pounds in week 1 and an average 1/2 pounds a week since then with a couple of weeks stalled weight loss, i will admit i am not rigid with myself my will power is very weak at times but the fact that i can only eat small portions has meant that in 11 weeks i have had no gain which is unheard of for me. I am now trying to focus more on exercise and changing my bad habits etc. I keep looking at the bigger picture which is 24 weeks of having a balloon i am only half way there and it will all add up at the end. i hope this is not disheartening but it took me a few weeks to figure out the balloon does not suppress the appetite it only makes u fuller with less food and i am doing the hard work. good luck stay positive and relax u have 23 weeks to go-plenty of time.:hurray:

Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I've been kind of freaking out the last couple of days, especially reading posts by people where the weight seems to be falling off them and they can't manage even the smallest meal. I just love this forum, I would certainly feel very alone without all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back