Gastric Balloon - My Journey is about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have really enjoyed reading this thread i am hoping to book my gastric balloon for the end of this month, have any of you had the surgery recently that would like to share your story with me, i am struggling to find up to date accounts of the surgery and im getting a little stressed about it, many thanks Kayeigh

Hello!

I live in Sussex in the UK and am booked to have a Gastric Balloon fitted in July 2012. Anyone else about to do it to? Would like to have a 'balloon buddy' for the next 6 months to a year! xx:seeya:

Hi Rachel. Thank you for replying. How did it go and more importantly how are you doing? My balloon is being fitted on Wednesday.

Wendy xxx

im due for mine in 15 days time!!

how has it gone for you? theres not enough forums or hreads when i try researching more of there isnt any replies! =(

Hi Gina, I had mine inserted earlier today, this is my first night, don't want to jinx it, but so far not as horrible as i expected. I am mainly uncomfortable, especially lying down, i found that sitting is best, but i am tired so i try to lie down on my left side which is as good as it will get i suppose :)....in the 8 hrs since the procedure, i threw up twice, the nausea comes on suddenly, and i get painful cramps as i vomit, i suppose coz my stomach contracts on the balloon. I also noticed that i am running a slight fever. Ah,, and i only had sips of water and clear apple juice so far.

i will try to get some sleep now....will let you know how things progress

Best of luck to you...

I.

AAs bless you! I hate the feeling of sickness too which I'm dreading and I usually lay in my side anyways!

Where did you have it done? Did you get 2 types if medication after? I got my prescription to give my doctor through the post, what I'm nervous about is I have a 4hr drive or longer back from the hospital im having it done at!

Hope it all settles ASAP =) good luck xxx

I had it done in Cairo, Egypt. it cost me like 2000US$. I was worried about doing it in Egypt, but i have family here and a place to stay, and the doctor was highly recommended.

Yes, the doctor prescribed to me all kind of medications: anti acid, something for nausea and vomit, anti spasms , pain killers orals, and injections pain killers and anti vomit but he told me to take those only if i am throwing up the oral meds. Good news, i am keeping down the oral meds, so hopefully i won't resort to injections.

I would be worried too if i had 4 hrs drive after the procedure, that could be rough, but you see people react to the procedure in various degrees of discomfort, unfortunately there is no way to tell in advance how you will respond. Is that your only option as far as clinics?

Update: slept badly, due to being uncomfortable on any side, finally i slept on my tummy and it was the best position....did not expect that! No throwing up or nausea all night. In the morning i had a fit of nausea but i breathed thru it and it passed. I am having very small but frequent sips of water, apple juice and added liquid yogurt, no vomit, keeping them down fine, so that's a relief.

i am tired and sleepy, and sleeping on and off all day.

when and where are you having urs?

tHERE SEEMS TO BE ONLY 2 PRIVATE CLINICS TO GET THE BALLOON HERE WHEN I DONE RESEARCH UNLESS I IT WAS THROUGH THE NHS

oops sorry for caps!.

How are you finding the balloon now? im having it done on wednesday!! 2 days to go, getting nervous now =( luckily my parents have booked time off for 2 days so i can rest hopefully ill be ok to have my daughter after then and i have 2 weeks booked off work!!

hows thee weightloss going??

x

Hello all! I am in the US participating in a double blind clinical trial for the gastric balloon. D Day is tomorrow and I am a little nervous, a lot excited, and really hope that I am in the 50% of the group that gets the balloon! This thread has been of immeasurable help in makingme feel more comfortable about the procedure and excited about the outcome.

Wish me luck!!

Hello all! I am in the US participating in a double blind clinical trial for the gastric balloon. D Day is tomorrow and I am a little nervous, a lot excited, and really hope that I am in the 50% of the group that gets the balloon! This thread has been of immeasurable help in makingme feel more comfortable about the procedure and excited about the outcome.

Wish me luck!!

Oh.. I am 5'4 and 183 pounds, and hopefully will get to 140. My hope is to get off of insulin!!

Hello Isabella,

I wonder how r u doing now almost 3 months after the procedure .. how do u feel, what do u eat and how much weight did u lose till now?

My Gastric Balloon Journey

Hello All,

Never done this before but have really appreciated those who have so hoping this will help others.

vital statistics
1m 66cm
BMI: 30.1
Want to lose 2 1/2 to 3 stone
target 35lb loss

I have my wedding in November 2013 so 5 months time, means if I get the balloon I need to lose 35lb by September so that I can buy/alter dress. Would also mean I would have the balloon during wedding and honeymoon which isn't ideal but neither is being this size.

I have 10 clinics in UK mainly London to call tomorrow to narrow down choice and get quotes. I'm expecting to pay between £3,500 - £4000 for the 6 month balloon. I'm also not sure whether to fill with saline or air?

I would LOVE a balloon buddy to share this journey, I've only told my Boyfriend and he's not very happy with decision. I'm not planning on telling anybody else so it might be a lonely journey especially through the rough patches.

hope everybody meets their goal

Prices and packages:

Parkside Hospital: £4250, saline filled no other info

Obesity surgey company: £5k, saline filled, overnight stay, 1 week meds, no 1-1 calls ongoing but there is someone for you to call

Harley st bariatics: £5k, day case, saline, 6-9 mths balloon, sedation, 1 week meds

Healthier weight: £3990' hospital in Birmingham, 1 week meds, daycare, 12 mth support,

Tonic cosmetic surgery AND WE HAVE A WINNER! £3650, London, pick up and drop off, overnight stay, 1-1 calls everyday

Going to speak to the consultant today with a face to face on 6th July hoping for procedure on 10th July but don't know yet

Day 1

My surgery was last night, stayed overnight and was on a drip for a number of hours.

Couldn't sleep as you had to sit-up slightly and it's uncomfortable on your side. There's no pain there's just more of a uncomfortable feeling.

Drunk 2 small glasses of water and during the night a small cup of tea, the full feeling is uncomfortable, like over full, and I feel like I need to harp but can't so I slowly walk which helps. I haven't thrown up or felt nauseous at all but it's only day 1.

All in all better then I thought it would be, been having antacids and Nti sickness medication but no pain killers this morning because I haven't needed it

Hi everyone
Trying to make the decision whether to have balloon or try diet and gym again. Need to lose 5 stone and think I've tried most diets. Would anyone have pros or cons or summary of success. I will spend a few hours reading all previous posts too.
I could have it done this Friday coming in Manchester if I decide its for me.
Thanks
Kirsty :confused:

DAY 4

Last time I threw up was 5 this morning. Managed to keep half cup of tea, half cup of hot choc, half a lolly and water down but it's been a struggle.
I feel really weak and constantly uncomfortable.mi hope my stomach adjusts soon. The nurse who calls everyday says to keep trying to keep nutrients down so that's what I'm doing. As soon as I have anything I lie on my right side to try stop it from coming up.

Fingers crossed it eases soon

Hi Kirsty
I had the 12 spatz balloon fitted 4 months ago and so far have lost 3 and a half stone. I still have another 5 to go but for me it was every bit worth the money. I have tried diet after diet which all failed after feeling demotivated when i was losing little to no weight. The balloon has helped me to stick with eating less and continue to lose weight. I'm not deluded, I know I still have a long way to go but I'm so happy I went with the procedure to help me.
The balloon isn't for everyone but it was certainly for me :)
Sacha xx

DAY 6

I think I see the sun through the clouds. This is the best I've felt, however, not back to normal. The main difference is less nausea.

I cut a multi vitamin into 4 pieces and had some fish and some nourishment drink as I've been feeling really weak.

Sacha thank you for your previous post, it's nice to have some support which is what I was looking for

Hi Kirsty
I had the 12 spatz balloon fitted 4 months ago and so far have lost 3 and a half stone. I still have another 5 to go but for me it was every bit worth the money. I have tried diet after diet which all failed after feeling demotivated when i was losing little to no weight. The balloon has helped me to stick with eating less and continue to lose weight. I'm not deluded, I know I still have a long way to go but I'm so happy I went with the procedure to help me.
The balloon isn't for everyone but it was certainly for me :)
Sacha xx

Hi Sacha
Thank you for the reply, I've gone ahead and booked and I've got to be at the clinic in Manchester for 7am tomorrow. Excited but nervous, I think I'm only nervous about the first few days though. Its great to read you have lost 3 and a half within 4 months, thats fab weight loss. I'm like you tried allsorts of other things. I need to lose 5 ish stone altogether.
Fingers crossed and I'll get back on here once I'm home etc.
Kirsty xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back