Gastric Balloon - My Journey is about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

chick1980

Well - I have booked the op to have a balloon inserted on the 10th April and I am nervous/apprehensive/excited I have researched well and dispite the potential side effects am certain this will be the start of a healthier me and a much better relationship with food.

I weigh 13.5 stone and at 5'5 have a BMI which classes me as obese..there I said it obese ..Hi my name is Amy and I am obese.

I wonder if anyone has any stories to tell on how much weight they have lost, how they have felt on this journey. I would love to hear from people who are about to start this journey and those who have already started..I think this forum will be a great support over the coming 6 months and beyond and I will make sure I post regularly to give a full upddate everyone.

:newbie::newbie:

12 days to go.....

Another day closer...I have a birthday party for my daughter today I am determined not to over indulge as I dont want to add anymore pounds to the weight I need to lose..,,wish me luck.

I havent put anything on now for over 4 weeks but that being said I havent lost anything either :cuss:

I hope this balloon will help me re-establish what a healthy portion looks like, as someone on here said its like a behaviour modification tool ...I am ready to be modified lol

:seeya:

Hi there
Just wanted to say good luck!
If you look on my thread ive been keeping a weekly diary of weight loss and there is also a link to my blog where you can find out exactly how my 1st few weeks went!

If you have any questions i would be happy to help! :Angel_anim:

Thank you ...I have had a look at your blog, great to read the bits about the 1st few days and how people then adjust...I just cant wait to get this balloon in now I'm like a child at christmas lol...:smilielol5:

I got my pre op info packs and details etc

Well all my info arrived today flights booked April 10th (good friday in more than one sense) land in prague at 9ish and within 3 hours it will be in!!! Just have to have final pre op checks ECG, Bloods,BP etc...Aparently I will get a IV sedation followed by IV fluids and anti sickness drugs !!! omg that sounds alot but I guess its not hugely invasive surgery so this is still the safer route for me.

I also have a copy of the suggested food plan for the first days/weeks/month and wow if I can survive on such a little it will be a great habit breaker and set me off on the right route...

I was nervous of going abroad but I have found the staff at prague beauty to be great loads of info emails/calls returned promptly and all the info you could want.inc details of facilities at the clinic /apartment...I hope they are as attentive when I I get there.

wishing ther days away now.

:party:

10 days and counting

I spoke to the clinic today and they have reassured me that I wont feel anything during the operation and will give me a pre med before I go in to the OR room. I have been reading through the post op diet and am actually looking forward to eating such a little amount I definetly need to have this op to re-evaluate my relationship with food.

Does anyone have any info on how much people have have lost in the first couple of weeks I think I need the losses to see me through the sickness...:seeya:

9 Days to 'B 'day

9 days till balloon day ...I have only told my partner that I am doing this ( and he is coming with me to Prague ) mentioned in passing I was thinking about it to my mum but she really doesnt like the idea so have decided best to wait till Im back before saying anything....

Mum has weight problems and is 50 this year. Bless her she has been on a "diet" for as long as I can remember and losses a couple of pounds a year and promptly puts it back on at christmas ...I just dont want to get to 50 and be thinking I wish I was slimmer in my 30s life is just too damm short so heres to beach holidays without feeling uncomfortably large :rant:

Hi Amy!

I am having the balloon put in on the 9th of April, a day before you!
It will be exactly a week since I ve decided to go this way.
I will definitely visit this thread to track your progress and tell you about mine!

Do you have any anxiety about it, any worries?
I have no one to talk to about this- only my Dad knows and that is because he is paying for it...

Oh, I am so very excited!

Have a lovely weekend!

I'm so excited and I just cant hide it

6 days ....I cant wait

I am nervous and excited all at the same time....I am know this is the right choice for me and even the thought of all that sickness doesnt put me off.

I have my sisters wedding in Sept so have set that as a target ...ishe is the size I used to be and I ;ll be dammed if I am going to be the fat one in the pictures.

Orchid - Where are you going for your op? I hope it goes well for you ...As soon as you feel up to it let us know how your doing ...It will be nice to have someone at the same point in the process for support.

Take care all

A:waving:

Thankfully, it is possible to have it done in my city and thankfully money in no object.
However, I am worried reading more comments about it- loads of people saying it didn't help them...I am getting sooo worried!

You are having the balloon done on next Friday, when will you be back home?
I couldn't handle being sick and travelling!

How much weight you hope to lose?

I would looove to lose 30 Kgs, but would be very happy with 20kg.

I am so glad to have someone to "talk" to!!!

I am traveling back on Sunday 3 days post op ...The clinic have been great and said if I dont feel up to travel I can delay the travel bacm so I;ll see how I feel.

I hope to lose 3 stone at 13 and 1/2 stone I hope to get back to 10 stone ideally. Before I put the weight on I was 9 stone 6 ish.

Alligator - How exciting how much do you hope to lose?

Orchid- At least u dont have to travel far ..how long do you stay in post op?

I am currently 28.6kg (63 lbs) above my goal weight. I don't know if I can lose that much in the 6 months with the balloon, but I hope to lose 40 lbs and then the rest afterwards. Deep down I would like to lose 8 pounds per month with the balloon, which would total 48 lbs over the 6 months. But honestly, even if I lose 30 lbs I'll be happy!

I used to be quite athletic, and even 30 pounds would get me down to a weight where I can enjoy running again. Then I think I'll be able to lose more if I can pick up distance running as I used to do. Right now it hurts my knees running with the extra weight. I can swim and bike, but I find that just doesn't burn the calories like running does.

I have set a goal of losing at least 3 lbs before the insertion date of April 29.

I am currently 28.6kg (63 lbs) above my goal weight. I don't know if I can lose that much in the 6 months with the balloon, but I hope to lose 40 lbs and then the rest afterwards. Deep down I would like to lose 8 pounds per month with the balloon, which would total 48 lbs over the 6 months. But honestly, even if I lose 30 lbs I'll be happy!

I used to be quite athletic, and even 30 pounds would get me down to a weight where I can enjoy running again. Then I think I'll be able to lose more if I can pick up distance running as I used to do. Right now it hurts my knees running with the extra weight. I can swim and bike, but I find that just doesn't burn the calories like running does.

I have set a goal of losing at least 3 lbs before the insertion date of April 29.

Snap ...I use to be athletic as well and use to run at club level ...I
have really bad knees now and find the gym or running a really strain and they end up blowing up to twice the size..nice :eek:

Its amazing how extra weight affects your life really...you cant excercise like you want, you cant wear the clothes you want, you cant run for the tube like you want!!! the list goes on

I WANT TO BE A SKINNY MINI LOL well skinnier than I am now roll on Friday

@ Amy- Well, I am going in at around 18h and expect to be home the same day/night.
All the information I got was over the phone, so I am not sure, but it seems that they will both give me meds in form of pills, but also I can go back tomorrow for IV meds.

@AlligatorCAN- We seem to be in the same boat weight-wise.
Its cool that you are trying to lose weight before!

About the food, once we are able to eat after the balloon- what are you hoping to do?
I mean do you hope to eat the same just smaller portion and less often or are you going to be on some sort of a diet,too?
I don't have any info on the diet plan after the ballon, guess I ll find out day they put it in.

About the food, once we are able to eat after the balloon- what are you hoping to do?
I mean do you hope to eat the same just smaller portion and less often or are you going to be on some sort of a diet,too?
I don't have any info on the diet plan after the ballon, guess I ll find out day they put it in.

The surgeon in Vancouver has given me a "recommended food list" and a bit of an eating plan, but doesn't have a tonne of support, not like there's a dietician on his staff that consults with you. I am going to go to Weight Watchers. I really need to learn portion control and I think that it would be good for me to have a support network, especially for once the balloon is out! My two biggest problems are not really what I eat, but how much - both in terms of meal size and then snacking between meals. So I am hoping the balloon will help me get used to smaller meals and not snacking so much.

I have to say this forum is great, as I was feeling pretty alone about this whole thing. I have only told my husband, as I just don't want the negative energy that I know will come if I told people. I also don't want to have to explain things over and over again, and have people figure I'm some sort of desperate freak taking the easy way out. I don't think this will be easy! So it's great to find this support network online.

Diet after the balloon

Ok sorry for the long post but thought I would share this...my doctor has provided a diet plan

First day diet:
Cold tea and water:
• Drink slowly in small sips.
• Wait in between the sips for a minute or two.
• Do not drink more than 100 ml at once.
• Nothing but tea with or without sugar, or still mineral water.
• Wait for least 10 minutes between drinks.
Your total fluid intake should be not less than 2.0 liters per day.

Recommended dietary regime during the first week after BIB
• High Protein Diet with vitamin/mineral supplements - or-
• Breakfast
1/3 cup pureed fruit
½ cup yogurt
Lunch
½ cup consommé or broth
1/3 cup pureed fruit
Dinner
½ cup yogurt
½ cup pureed fruit

Recommended dietary regime during the second week after BIB
• Clear broth or soup without vegetables or meat and not too creamy.
• Low fat, sugar free yogurt.
• Skimmed milk.
• Natural fruit juice or pureed soft fruit (apple, banana, pear, etc).
• Vegetable juices.
• Low calorie drinks.
• Sugar free protein supplements, with skimmed milk.
• Water ( 6-8 cups / 2.0- 3.0 liter a day).
In between meals you may drink vegetable juice, milk, fruit juices, water, to ingest sufficient
liquids and prevent dehydration.

I also have a meal plan for the following few weeks as well and it seems that a main meal is basically small portion of protein 1/4-1/2 of a chicken breast or fish with veg etc to be honest my problem is similar to alot of people its the size of my portions not what I actually eat. I dont have a sweet tooth but could easily eat a full roast dinner ...twice lol....I think this balloon will give me six months to enforce the new eating habits and I know that after all this I wont go back to old habits I will not be back in the same postion a couple of years down the line.

Hope you are all well ...Amy

that meal plan is b***ocks, its the one from prague beauty isnt it? that will last you a few days. the balloon wont make you feel full as such you need to know when to stop. i was told not to eat solids for a few weeks, but it turned out to be a few days. there is no need to be that harsh with the diet, it could lead to bingeing anyway.

good luck, prague beauty were great :hurray:

that meal plan is b***ocks, its the one from prague beauty isnt it? that will last you a few days. the balloon wont make you feel full as such you need to know when to stop. i was told not to eat solids for a few weeks, but it turned out to be a few days. there is no need to be that harsh with the diet, it could lead to bingeing anyway.

good luck, prague beauty were great :hurray:

Glad to hear prague beauty were great, hopefully I will have the same experience...I do hope to be able to stick to the diet but will take each day as it comes ..it seems everyone has different experiences with some seemingly able to eat the same as before and others who cant even manage the diet I posted..i guess its hit and miss.

I hope I am not in the first group as I am determined that I wont be overweight this time next year..

Mind you I think I read on the other thread you have lost 15lb in 3 weeks which is good going so something must be working...

4 Days to go ......

Ok its official I am cant wait to get this balloon in ... I actually couldnt sleep last night!!!

I am just like a child before christmas lol

I have read so many stories on here which have been really helpful in coming to my decesion you hear the good the bad and ugly and this is far more useful that the sterile sales pitch you see on so many of the clinic websites....

I'm glad I am forturnate enough to be to have this balloon , just hope it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back