Gastric Balloon - My Journey is about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
newby

Hi chick,
I had my gastric balloon inserted on 11th July and have lost 12 pounds so far. I have only just stopped being sick (over 4 weeks) as I am a sweet tooth and keep trying to eat Ben and Jerrys LOL. Also, I found that if i drank too much it would all come up again.
Its good to hear you had a good experience in Czech. My package came with a year's free dietician/nutritionist. A bit pointless because if i could stick to diets, i would not have had to have the balloon.
I hope to lose 5 stone, but i know i am going to have to hit the gym to achieve this in six months.
If the balloon works, I am planning to go to Europe to get another one fitted after they take this one out. Did your package include removal and lanzoprazole?

louise

Removal Booked

Hi Guys,

Well I booked my removal in for late sept just over a month left..Insertion was 10th April 09. So far I have lost 4 1/2 stone , and this week I actually brought some clothes size 8/10 whoppeeeeee down from a size 16/18 and 14 stone.

I am still sick on a regular basis and have days where nothing stays down and feel miserable but I guess with a loss this big there is bound to be off days , I have to be honest and say I,m pleased I had it done but I wont put the weight back on again as I dont think I could do it all again.......

The loss in its self has been hugely motivational and I love being able to move and excersise without huffing and puffing after 2 mins, hope your all doing ok ,,,,,love and hugs amyxxx

Hi Guys,

Well I booked my removal in for late sept just over a month left..Insertion was 10th April 09. So far I have lost 4 1/2 stone , and this week I actually brought some clothes size 8/10 whoppeeeeee down from a size 16/18 and 14 stone.

I am still sick on a regular basis and have days where nothing stays down and feel miserable but I guess with a loss this big there is bound to be off days , I have to be honest and say I,m pleased I had it done but I wont put the weight back on again as I dont think I could do it all again.......

The loss in its self has been hugely motivational and I love being able to move and excersise without huffing and puffing after 2 mins, hope your all doing ok ,,,,,love and hugs amyxxx

Hi Amy, wow - that's fantastic, congrats to you!:party: It has gone by so quickly it seems. I'm exactly three months in and have lost 23.8 pounds, and I'm aiming for another 15-20 by the end of November which will be when mine comes out.

I'm so proud of you!!!:beerchug:

WOW. I'm speechless 4.5stones. No way!!

well well well well well well well DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you look so hot!

So I'm thinking ...... Can I call you in 6months time and ask you out on a low calorie (or high, if we can go dancing afterwards) dinner date...........LOL

Ted-To-Cheeky

Hi Guys,

Hi H

I think having only 2 days off is not a good idea. Is there no chance you can take a week off?
I doubt you will have enough time to adjust to the balloon in one weekend.

Ted

vitamins

Hi H

I haven't done it yet. My balloon is going in on the 4th Oct.
However I was thinking about vitamins as well. I guess if you are constantly going to be sick I would be inclined to go for liquid multi vitamin. However there doesn't seem to be much choice.
I would definitely ask the doc or dietician. Let us know what they say.

Ted

Hi,

well i think they try to put it in with nothing, app only 30% of people can cope with having something shoved down their throat. I've asked for sedation now just to make it all a little easier.

Unfortunately, I can't take the time off but I plan to take it easy at work. I'm pretty much behind a desk the whole day. If it gets really bad i'll go sick.

Haven't told anyone apart from best friend that i'm having it done, she's going with me.

What multi-vitamin would you recommend?

H

Having my balloon inserted tomorrow at 9am & I am petrified BUT determined to have it done!!!!

Obviously I'm not looking forwrad to the side effects but being able to buy 'proper' clothes from 'proper' shop's will make up for that.

I'm sick of being the fat lass!!!! Thanks to everyone who has posted things on here as its definitely been a lot of help, inspiration & educational.

Take care everyone & good luck. Fingers crossed we all hit our weight loss goals!!!!!!!!!!!
:party:

Just to say Hi, i lost nearly all the weight i neede to lose almost 1 year from ballon in lost 4 stone within 3 -4 months.
What you can eat at first is very little think kiddies yohurt each meal rather than small plate as advised drink water/sip slowly on the 1/4 hour and like yourselves i went back to work.after sat insertion was rather tired but went to bed early for first week.

Every one is different but i was told no spicy foods which i tried abot 2 months boy did i suffer.
Eggs also were a no no as well as hi fat fooods only meaning mackrel,tiny bit of cheese turned my stomach off completely take a multi vit as the nutrients are not enough in the small amounts you can eat.

I has sedation, felt nothing at the time so apart from natural fear of the unknown , you will be fine .

Best of luck to you all:driving:

Someone asked are you sick when the ballon comes out:biggrinjester:NO..i was'nt any way

wish they had a ballon that could stay in longer its a great tool.
Kept the weight off but put some on whilst on holidays secret is to lose it asap.
Will always have to watch, my weight like larger amounts than my body needs,thats what makes me gain ,not stopping when full working on it though.
Good luck to you all :party::smilielol5:

Update

Well was booked for my balloon removal in prague on the 28th Sept and yep something went wrong 2 days before removal I experienced a terrible pain and ended up in a&e (ER) after 4 days in hospital I had the balloon removed in the uk (not simple since they had to order the equipement in as they had never done the procedure before, they then had someone from the maunfacturors in the Op room to show then how to use it) they assumed it was pain from the gatric balloon..after went home didnt feel too bad , then 4 days after this woke at 4am with a searing pain in my abdomen after rather a difficult time (on morphine etc) having been diagnosed with severve gallstones (over 20) with some lodged in my bile ducts am now without a gallbladder. ( This is as a side effect of the rapid loss I have had 4 1/2 stone at the time now 5!!)

I dont wish to frighten anyone but thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else experiences the same symptoms. 12 day in hospital is not fun. So get yourself checked out if you get any symptoms. I understand from the clinic that those who experience rapid big losses can get these complications ( have looked back at pre literature and sure enought it is..I guess you focus on the goal )

all in all though would I still do it again pre gallbladder removal yes for all the sickness and discomfort -now ??? ask me in a couple of weeks time lol

I am sure this is rare but as a weight loss forum thought this might be useful to have as "just in case info"

For all those wondering though I have not put a 1lb back on and dont fancy big meals atall and thats not just post op dont think as it has now been two weeks yippeeee

Love to you all Amy

wish they had a ballon that could stay in longer its a great tool.

posted a response to this - but it seems to have disappeared.

in surfing the net before making up my mind whether to go through with surgery, i came across this site [link removed] about a new gastric balloon called Spatz which will be able to stay in for more than 6 months.

i wrote to them to ask if it was true and when the balloon would be available. they said "we plan to have our new intragastric balloon released for sale in early 2010."

anyone heard anything more about it?

I'm not sure why my previous post disappeared. Was it against the rules? If so, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am more than likely going to have the balloon. I have my consultation on Thursday, I am extremely nervous, but i too am tired of being overweight, and am ready to do something about it. When it's in i'll let everybody know....:seeya:

Sorry to hear..

Well was booked for my balloon removal in prague on the 28th Sept and yep something went wrong 2 days before removal I experienced a terrible pain and ended up in a&e (ER) after 4 days in hospital I had the balloon removed in the uk (not simple since they had to order the equipement in as they had never done the procedure before, they then had someone from the maunfacturors in the Op room to show then how to use it) they assumed it was pain from the gatric balloon..after went home didnt feel too bad , then 4 days after this woke at 4am with a searing pain in my abdomen after rather a difficult time (on morphine etc) having been diagnosed with severve gallstones (over 20) with some lodged in my bile ducts am now without a gallbladder. ( This is as a side effect of the rapid loss I have had 4 1/2 stone at the time now 5!!)

I dont wish to frighten anyone but thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else experiences the same symptoms. 12 day in hospital is not fun. So get yourself checked out if you get any symptoms. I understand from the clinic that those who experience rapid big losses can get these complications ( have looked back at pre literature and sure enought it is..I guess you focus on the goal )

all in all though would I still do it again pre gallbladder removal yes for all the sickness and discomfort -now ??? ask me in a couple of weeks time lol

I am sure this is rare but as a weight loss forum thought this might be useful to have as "just in case info"

For all those wondering though I have not put a 1lb back on and dont fancy big meals atall and thats not just post op dont think as it has now been two weeks yippeeee

Love to you all Amy

Hi Amy,
I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you and hope you are able to manage without a gallbladder.
I read in one of your previous posts in April that you knew you had gallstones - how did you find this out? Are there any warning signs?
take care of yourself
Louis

Your previous post disappeared because of the link it contained, which is considered spam, just like this one.

posted a response to this - but it seems to have disappeared.

in surfing the net before making up my mind whether to go through with surgery, i came across this site [link removed] about a new gastric balloon called Spatz which will be able to stay in for more than 6 months.

i wrote to them to ask if it was true and when the balloon would be available. they said "we plan to have our new intragastric balloon released for sale in early 2010."

anyone heard anything more about it?

I'm not sure why my previous post disappeared. Was it against the rules? If so, please let me know.

Ouch serious side effect

Love to you all Amy

Hi Amy,

I had the balloon a few weeks before you March 21st and I am having it out on Sunday 11th October :hurray: its such a pity you had such severe side effects from the dramatic and quick weight loss but hey at least your over it now and 5 stone lighter. I lost 2stone 2lbs in total and I am so happy, I have never lost so much weight and yes I probably could have lost more but I made small manageable realistic lifestyle changes which will enable me to keep off the weight. Nervous about removal hope I am not too sick afterwards, best of luck to all new balloon folks, I regret nothing and I would do it all again tomorrow, I wish I could have my balloon in another 6 months to lose the last 2 stone but I guess I will have to do that all by myself.

Ellen

Well - I have booked the op to have a balloon inserted on the 10th April and I am nervous/apprehensive/excited I have researched well and dispite the potential side effects am certain this will be the start of a healthier me and a much better relationship with food.

I weigh 13.5 stone and at 5'5 have a BMI which classes me as obese..there I said it obese ..Hi my name is Amy and I am obese.

I wonder if anyone has any stories to tell on how much weight they have lost, how they have felt on this journey. I would love to hear from people who are about to start this journey and those who have already started..I think this forum will be a great support over the coming 6 months and beyond and I will make sure I post regularly to give a full upddate everyone.

:newbie::newbie:

Hi Amy, I have the same measurements and am getting the ballon done in 3 weeks..

I would live to hear how you are going ...

Spatz Balloon

Anyone had this? I'm going for it due to it being in for a year. Apparently the procedure for insertion is worse. Anyone had this one yet?

@fatamerican

Try this link
Weight Loss Procedure, Spatz™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back