Gastric Balloon - My Journey is about to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh i hate waiting its shitty. Is there seriously nobody else in town that does it? or even within an hour or twos drive?

i have gallstones not good

heh i hate waiting its shitty. Is there seriously nobody else in town that does it? or even within an hour or twos drive?

The balloon is rather new in Canada so there's not a whole lot of doctors that do them. Most of the time I don't pay attention to how big this country really is, until I think that the next closest place is Toronto, halfway across the country from me, and even still that's 4300km away! I did consider flying there but the flight is 6 hours long and pretty expensive (I could fly to Hawaii for less...), and the balloon is $3000 more there anyway. Doh!

I'm so impatient normally so I guess this will be a good lesson in patience.:chillpill:

i have gallstones not good

Oh no - so sorry to hear that! :mad: Do you need surgery? Can you keep the balloon? A friend of mine had gallstones years ago and a naturopath told him to drink 6 glasses of apple juice a day. He felt it helped give some relief for a few months. Hope things turn out all right. Hugs.

Update

Well heres the story..Rather odd pain last night in my side and back got gradually worse overnight and this morning sick yuck,,,I went to the doctor this morning, she was surprisingly supportive about the balloon and congratulated me on the weight loss so far, she has diagnosed small gallstones and I have a hospital visit friday to have a further ultrasound and if they are not breaking down then they may try and use laser to break them up.

The most likey cause according to the dcr is rapid weight loss- reading up I have found its fairly common in lapband /gastric band patients. Apparently fatty breakdown collects in your gallbladder and in great amounts clogs together (can only imagine what it was doing to my arteries etc.

Its very painful but I have good pain meds, good news is I can keep the balloon , just need to treat the side effect of the weight loss!!

I better loss a couple of extra pounds for all this pain lol got to look on the bright side I guess.

:(

Ballon came out on Saturday

Think it would help others, to write what happens after the ballon comes out as this is the time to apply the learning!

I had my ballon out by appt this Sat 25/4/09. 9am.

I needed it out before my holiday ( the clinic was adamant it could not stay in any longer than 6 months and my return date was 5th June) and the only date available that suited us both was so had it in for 5 months.
Iwas really wishing i could have had it the full six months in the end as it was great once it settled down which i admit took a good deal of time.

In total i lost 3 stone 3ibs in 21 wks ( i think) most of it was gone by February 8th when i went to Florida for 2 wks.:party:

In the interim time i took up jogging 3 times a week self defence classes and a boxing class, and chi gong class.
So looking a lot more toned and trimmer and feeeeeell Goooood about :blush5:
I think i would like to be another 6 ibs lighter, but taking it easy and trying to stay of carbs as these are the" pile on weights for me .

I made a decision not to have any local anasetic to have the ballon out,as i wanted to enjoy the rest of the day,which i did .
It was'nt pleasant but i tried to relax and breathe deeply,closed my eyes and did what they asked me to do.

Anyhow, really working the follow up program, will keep you posted not feeling hungry but also not filling full like i did when i had the ballon in.
Really got to love my smaller portions and will keep to those sizes where i can.

Good Luck to you all, Its defintly worth it to be a new exciting person in MY life,someone who looks good ,feels great, and is so much healther in 21 wks.

Way to go
Gloria:party:

Think it would help others, to write what happens after the ballon comes out as this is the time to apply the learning!

I had my ballon out by appt this Sat 25/4/09. 9am.

I needed it out before my holiday ( the clinic was adamant it could not stay in any longer than 6 months and my return date was 5th June) and the only date available that suited us both was so had it in for 5 months.
Iwas really wishing i could have had it the full six months in the end as it was great once it settled down which i admit took a good deal of time.

In total i lost 3 stone 3ibs in 21 wks ( i think) most of it was gone by February 8th when i went to Florida for 2 wks.:party:

In the interim time i took up jogging 3 times a week self defence classes and a boxing class, and chi gong class.
So looking a lot more toned and trimmer and feeeeeell Goooood about :blush5:
I think i would like to be another 6 ibs lighter, but taking it easy and trying to stay of carbs as these are the" pile on weights for me .

I made a decision not to have any local anasetic to have the ballon out,as i wanted to enjoy the rest of the day,which i did .
It was'nt pleasant but i tried to relax and breathe deeply,closed my eyes and did what they asked me to do.

Anyhow, really working the follow up program, will keep you posted not feeling hungry but also not filling full like i did when i had the ballon in.
Really got to love my smaller portions and will keep to those sizes where i can.

Good Luck to you all, Its defintly worth it to be a new exciting person in MY life,someone who looks good ,feels great, and is so much healther in 21 wks.

Way to go
Gloria:party:

Good news Gloria-Sounds like you have made all the right lifestyle changes, I wish you lots of luck as I think post balloon is in someways the real challenge.

Can I ask did you feel sick after the balloon came out? ie any side effects like with balloon insertion?

3 weeks post op

Heh Guys, well feeling a little better than the last few days thank goodness.

Good news is 3 weeks in to the day and I have lost 25lb ( 1 stone 11lb) averaging just over 8lb a week better than any diet I have ever been on.

I am now 12 stone 3lb ....my target 12 stone then 11 1/2, my ultimate goal is somewhere around the 10 stone mark which I think might be a little ambitious in the period of 6 months but a girls gotta dream lol.

I was thinking about setting up a weight loss ticker but first I have to figure it out ..any help welcome lol

Take Care Guys Amyxxxxxxx:grouphug:

BBQ last night

I attended a big bbq last night and I had a throughly miserable time :nopity:

Normally I would have had a great time, but, perhaps because its all still so new I felt like I was missing out, not sure that makes any sense ??

I couldnt eat anything really- Had a chicken drumstick and a spoon of potato salad which I picked at, and everyone else was in full drinking mode. I tried on sip of wine and decided it was likely to make me feel sick.

I felt like a complete party pooper, and to make it worse I left at 11 and my partner stayed till the early hours, so I went home alone and really rather dejected.

Has anyone else had a family or friends event as yet? How did you cope with it?

I am sure it was just because it was the first 'event' since the op and I guess I need to realise that things just wont be the same as before, and I need toi enjoy it without the food and drink . It has been an important learning event for me as food and drink has always been a very social thing for me and the family , long lazy lunches, evenings with a glass of wine in the garden etc.

well thats me for now.

Take care guys

Amy

I attended a big bbq last night and I had a throughly miserable time :nopity:

Normally I would have had a great time, but, perhaps because its all still so new I felt like I was missing out, not sure that makes any sense ??

I couldnt eat anything really- Had a chicken drumstick and a spoon of potato salad which I picked at, and everyone else was in full drinking mode. I tried on sip of wine and decided it was likely to make me feel sick.

I felt like a complete party pooper, and to make it worse I left at 11 and my partner stayed till the early hours, so I went home alone and really rather dejected.

I am sure it was just because it was the first 'event' since the op and I guess I need to realise that things just wont be the same as before, and I need toi enjoy it without the food and drink . It has been an important learning event for me as food and drink has always been a very social thing for me and the family , long lazy lunches, evenings with a glass of wine in the garden etc.

well thats me for now.

Take care guys

Amy

Hi Amy,

I had my 30th birthday 2 weeks into the procedure and I suppose cos I was so excited about my costume party I did not focus on the eating and drinking part, I like u picked at the cocktail sausages and chicken wings if I ate 2 of each the whole night that was a lot. I only drink light cider which if u were on weight watchers is 1 point a bottle and I only managed 3 bottles and a glass of champagne all night, I did suffer some umcomfortable trapped wind from the carobonated cider but that was all, i managed a slice of birthday cake the next day.

I felt bad afterwards thinking I had "broke" my diet and it set me to do some serious comfort eating the following week but now I am back on track and enjoying nights out and days out, I drink low calorie alcoholic drinks and pace myself cos if they are fizzy then the wind is uncomfortable and I have resigned myself to being able to eat a lot less than before and I try not to draw attention to my lack of nibbling and start the whole balloon debate. I have lost 1 pound a week the last 3 weeks which is not phenomenal but its going in the right direction and will all add up to a great loss at the end of the program.

My advice is to enjoy the special occasions that come up over the summer, eat only what feels good for you because i know u have been unwell on top of ur balloon symptoms and enjoy a few drinks too just make sensible choices like u would if you were following weight watchers or a similar diet plan.

I have a first holy communion party next saturday and I am going to eat if I am hungry and drink if I feel like it but I wont let it stop me enjoying myself because when the balloon is gone I will look back and regret that I wasted that special occasion upsetting myself over my lack of appetite and guilt over having a few drinks.

I hope u feel better soon hun, ur only human and doing so well so let ur fantastic loss to date cheer u up a bit.:grouphug:

5 days later

Hi, just want to give u an update on how its been since i had the balloon inserted on the 29th.

First of all, thank you so much to all the people that have shared their post op experiences, if it weren´t for your posts, I really would have been shocked to the core. The clinic that I am using is a reputable one, but i think they play down the after effects of the insertion. This is understandable.... they don´t want to scare people off.

Anyway, i had the surgery at c. 4pm and was out of the theatre an hour later. There was a guy that was scheduled for his balloon to be inserted before me but he was refused by the surgeon (something to do with the medication he was on). Dissappointing for him I´m sure, but their system works almost like a check and balance. The clinic that does the tests and determines if you are a likely candidate is ´independent" from the hospital and surgeons that place the balloon. So they(the surgeons) can very easily over rule what the clinic says. Infact whilst i was l on the "slab" being prepped for the insertion, I heard them discussing if i was suitable ... they seemed to think that i wasn´t fat or rather didnt look fat. But appearance wasnt the issue, the figures panned out and i qualify.
So they did it... and an hour later i was lying in bed waiting for the effects of the sedative to wear off. I was expecting to start spewing but it didn´t happen..... not until a few hours later.

At that point I was throwing up every couple of hours, it wasnt unpleasant... it was more of a relief (I found the waves of nausea and stomach churning far worse). I remember someone posted on one of the threads about the relief they got from throwing up. I welcomed it, infact i had to do so, before i took the medication. Unfortunately, 90 mins to 2 hours wasnt enough for me to experience the full benefits of the meds.

There was someone from the clinic at the end of the phone, in case of an emergency. It wasn´t an emergency but we had to have phone contact with the doc 24hrs after the op (this was obligatory). He advised us to crush the meds, mix them with water and squirt them down with a syringe. That way they´d get absorbed faster with less air absorption. He also reminded me to frequntly eat ice cubes made from an isotonic drink to settle my stomach and to help keep the fluids in.

The amount of throwing up has dramatically reduced. I don´t have the apetite for anything but i am forcefeeding myself with isotonic drinks, lots of iced water, Actimel and today I had some yoghurt.

I´ve come through it, it was a short intense period, there were times that i thought my system was trying to get me to regurgitate the balloon. :nopity:

So far my battle scars are... I´m a little shaky on my feet, I have zero apetite, occasional nausea and a weight loss of 5kg, after 5 days.

This definitely beats waking up at 5am in the morning to do a 4.5 mile run 3 days a week without visible results!!! Hopefully, I can now do my running with less calories in the bank and a better outcome.

So the fight continues...:smash:

Amy
Hey Amy

I didnt do balloon at all, just diet, but i had the same thing as you. First couple times i felt out of place and unable to drink and eat like others, a couple times i binged and went off the diet which sucked and felt worse.
Eventually i realized that nobody likes seeing somebody not drinking and eating and enjoying themselves. so i faked it.
I often would nurse the same diet cola for hours and people assumed all the time it was a new one, or a coke and something else mixer. If i had lemonade or water it was assumed i was drinking martini or vodka etc.
As for eating I would carefully look for the items i could eat, and again eat very slowly so people didnt feel i needed coaxing into eating or drinking or having a good time.

I have a friend who says 'im naturally skinny! i eat all i want and never gain weight'. Knowing what i do now i know thats bullshit, but i made a point of studying HOW she does that. Sure she might pile her plate high, but there was always something wrong with some food and she would offer it to somebody else and leave heaps of leftovers, then she would skip other meals and had all sorts of ways she hadnt notice to avoid eating food without seeming to notice herself or others notice. So i just did that when it came to eating.
"Sorry im not much of a xxxx fan" and "oh no its ok, i had a big lunch late today ... ill just have a nibble instead".

1 week after removal of gastric Ballon

Hi everyone,
Feeling really good,missing my tummy friend.
Cant believe i am saying that, no more lying on left side,no more burps, not really been hungry over the past week working on the emotions and food rewards in my life .

Really feel this weight loss tool has had the solution to my problem after all it was in 5 months so behaviiours have changed .

On Stage 2 of goal plan for 2009
Tackling my clothes, throwing,recycling (keeping 2 large items size 18)to show others if they want help.
plannning colours style eor my future which is always ,never want to buy anything but a size 12/10.

Feel happy,postive, younger and want to help other like me
Fat for a long time head in a good place.
Working on Gillian Rileys book "eating less" based on addiction, cravings, emotions as the food is only a symtom of the problem......
Have a great day!:seeya:

Hi, just want to give u an update on how its been since i had the balloon inserted on the 29th.

First of all, thank you so much to all the people that have shared their post op experiences, if it weren´t for your posts, I really would have been shocked to the core. The clinic that I am using is a reputable one, but i think they play down the after effects of the insertion. This is understandable.... they don´t want to scare people off.

Anyway, i had the surgery at c. 4pm and was out of the theatre an hour later. There was a guy that was scheduled for his balloon to be inserted before me but he was refused by the surgeon (something to do with the medication he was on). Dissappointing for him I´m sure, but their system works almost like a check and balance. The clinic that does the tests and determines if you are a likely candidate is ´independent" from the hospital and surgeons that place the balloon. So they(the surgeons) can very easily over rule what the clinic says. Infact whilst i was l on the "slab" being prepped for the insertion, I heard them discussing if i was suitable ... they seemed to think that i wasn´t fat or rather didnt look fat. But appearance wasnt the issue, the figures panned out and i qualify.
So they did it... and an hour later i was lying in bed waiting for the effects of the sedative to wear off. I was expecting to start spewing but it didn´t happen..... not until a few hours later.

At that point I was throwing up every couple of hours, it wasnt unpleasant... it was more of a relief (I found the waves of nausea and stomach churning far worse). I remember someone posted on one of the threads about the relief they got from throwing up. I welcomed it, infact i had to do so, before i took the medication. Unfortunately, 90 mins to 2 hours wasnt enough for me to experience the full benefits of the meds.

There was someone from the clinic at the end of the phone, in case of an emergency. It wasn´t an emergency but we had to have phone contact with the doc 24hrs after the op (this was obligatory). He advised us to crush the meds, mix them with water and squirt them down with a syringe. That way they´d get absorbed faster with less air absorption. He also reminded me to frequntly eat ice cubes made from an isotonic drink to settle my stomach and to help keep the fluids in.

The amount of throwing up has dramatically reduced. I don´t have the apetite for anything but i am forcefeeding myself with isotonic drinks, lots of iced water, Actimel and today I had some yoghurt.

I´ve come through it, it was a short intense period, there were times that i thought my system was trying to get me to regurgitate the balloon. :nopity:

So far my battle scars are... I´m a little shaky on my feet, I have zero apetite, occasional nausea and a weight loss of 5kg, after 5 days.

This definitely beats waking up at 5am in the morning to do a 4.5 mile run 3 days a week without visible results!!! Hopefully, I can now do my running with less calories in the bank and a better outcome.

So the fight continues...:smash:

Well Done you, your over the worst I def think week one was the hardest.

11lb is an excellent loss and it will keep falling off I;m sure.

Just wait those old clothes will be falling off you soon,

Keep us updated,

Amy

stomach capacity

Thanks Amy, ur always so supportive :grouphug:
I was down to 6kg by the next day.
I don't know what I am now because my boyfriend has advised me to stop weighing myself so often, so I'm trying.
I am managing to keep down what i eat which at the moment is 2 tablespoons of non fat, non sweet yoghurt, a nutrition shake with fat free milk and the bf made me some vegetable soup. I usually have about 3 tablespoons of that.
However, this eveing i had a very strong need to have some grilled chicken (that i'm supposed to be starting on wednesday) so I had 3!!! bits (fat finger sized) based on what i've been reading here the balloon starts to reject too much food. I'm wondering if I've eaten too much, I also, easily drank half a glass of unsweetened fruit juice. So far I feel fine but do you think I am expanding my stomach in doing all this eating? I'm anxious about defeating the objective of the ball or fooling it (I've heard this can be done). I'm really concerned about this i'd welcome any advice. Ta Zoo

p.s I also forgot to mention I have a very visible stomach bulge it sticks out at the top and I look bloated. someone at work mentioned they had noticed it also. Is this bloat? Does it eventually go down or is it my friend the balloon? While I'm waiting for guidance, I think i'll try a short run .....

Thanks Amy, ur always so supportive :grouphug:
I was down to 6kg by the next day.
I don't know what I am now because my boyfriend has advised me to stop weighing myself so often, so I'm trying.
I am managing to keep down what i eat which at the moment is 2 tablespoons of non fat, non sweet yoghurt, a nutrition shake with fat free milk and the bf made me some vegetable soup. I usually have about 3 tablespoons of that.
However, this eveing i had a very strong need to have some grilled chicken (that i'm supposed to be starting on wednesday) so I had 3!!! bits (fat finger sized) based on what i've been reading here the balloon starts to reject too much food. I'm wondering if I've eaten too much, I also, easily drank half a glass of unsweetened fruit juice. So far I feel fine but do you think I am expanding my stomach in doing all this eating? I'm anxious about defeating the objective of the ball or fooling it (I've heard this can be done). I'm really concerned about this i'd welcome any advice. Ta Zoo

p.s I also forgot to mention I have a very visible stomach bulge it sticks out at the top and I look bloated. someone at work mentioned they had noticed it also. Is this bloat? Does it eventually go down or is it my friend the balloon? While I'm waiting for guidance, I think i'll try a short run .....

Do what you feel is right for you , I had some solids about 8/9 days after insertion and like you said I should still have been on purees. Dont be surprised if a couple of hours later you feel sick. For me the sickness came on really by surprise , but as soon as I was sick I was fine again, it certainly makes you think twice about what you put in your mouth.

The balloon had given me a visable bulge ( especially as I have lost weight) I guess it reminds us its there still lol.

With regards to portion size and stetching the stomach , I think it can be done , but remember 3 strips of finger size chicken is hardly lots to eat , although I am sure it feels it after just eating yogurts and fluids etc.

Just another quickie ..If you do have a run be careful would hate for you to pass out from lack of food intake and fluids. I was advised at least two weeks until excercising, when you do run though dont be surprised when you feel it bouncing about lol....

I am now just over three weeks in and have lost 26lb , food wise I am managing a yogurt for breakie, soup for lunch and today for dinner I had a piece of asparagus , two cubes of lamb and a small potato.

I think everyone varies , I am just trying to listen to my stomach and not my brain, I have PMT and my brain is screaming chocolate or chinese but I know I dont need it and it will undo all the hard work so far.

One day at a time.

sending hugs to all you ballooners. :grouphug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance, yes ur right after eating next to nothing and then graduating to chicken "fingers" ones perspective can get a little skewy :willy_nilly:

I did do the run, this was on the 6th post op day. I was a little cautious so I didnt do get straight into it as I usually do. I started off with walking at a quick pace, then I´d make it go faster and faster until finally I was running. My fear, when I broke into a run or rather a jog, was that I was going to puke because i felt so full but nothing happened. It felt okay, almost as i usually feel when i run but better, lighter!! I only ran for 15 mins because I was being cautious. I didn´t even feel any liquid sloshing about in me.

I will do as has been suggested and take it easy, last thing i want to do is to faint on a moving treadmill :p

Also, in the past when I´d prepare to run I´d always have this feeling of foreboding because, I knew to achieve the weight loss I want I would really need to commit to doing some long runs a few times a week. This time when i ran I was more relaxed I didnt feel that I needed to kill myself on the treadmill(I´d already lost some weight), it felt like I had a heads up on the weight issue.. like I had managed to tackle some of the hard part.

well 1 month in and just over 2 stone down. The loss is def slowing down now I think this week its been about 2/3lb but I was expecting that.

I have only been sick once this week so far, didnt eat loads just had a small bit of fish with courgette (funnily enough it was courgette that made me sick last time I think so thats of the menu!!)

I feel a little odd this week but am due my period my PMT seems worse with the balloon in , has anyone else had this? Have had lots of early starts this week as well.

Hoping now its the weekend a good lay in tomorrow morning will sort me out.

Hope your all well, and the weight is falling of you all.

Amyx

well 1 month in and just over 2 stone down. The loss is def slowing down now I think this week its been about 2/3lb but I was expecting that.

I have only been sick once this week so far, didnt eat loads just had a small bit of fish with courgette (funnily enough it was courgette that made me sick last time I think so thats of the menu!!)

I feel a little odd this week but am due my period my PMT seems worse with the balloon in , has anyone else had this? Have had lots of early starts this week as well.

Hoping now its the weekend a good lay in tomorrow morning will sort me out.

Hope your all well, and the weight is falling of you all.

Amyx

hey Amy

2/3 lbs is fantastic i lost 2 this week and was delighted with myself!! i found my first period with balloon very draining and my cravings for salty things were bad too so i ate some tesco healthy living mini pretzels bags and they took ages to chew and helped satisfy me and i did not feel like i was cheating either. i cant eat salad anymore really as that was what was making me throw up in the beginning, anything too fibrous apparently is harder to digest and ur stomach is already coping with the balloon so the salad or in ur case courgette has to come up its funny cos u think oh this is healthy but my nurse was telling me sometimes its the healthier food that can disagree with u- pity we could not puke on the ice cream or chocs then this diet would be great :D

Sick Day Yesterday

Well nothing I ate yesterday stayed down, shreddies no, yogurt nope, chicken noooooo. :puke:

Dont know what happened really, I had terrible acid all day and slight tummy cramps and dispite my best efforts everything came up within about an hour.

I felt really disheartened to be honest , feel like I am fighting a lossing battle , I could die of starvation at this rate!!! Although I am not actually hungry feel I really should be eating more.

My hormones are all over the place this month still and I feel teary/irritable/angry all at once :banghead:

Help someone need some sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back