Recent lawsuits in California against eight popular fish oil supplement brands for detectable PCB content have stirred up some controversy. Can any brand of fish oil supplement be trusted?
It's time to look afresh at the criteria for choosing a quality fish oil supplement. Are you sure you are taking a brand which is free from mercury and other toxins including PCBs?
Here's a checklist for choosing a superior quality fish oil supplement:
- Fish oil supplement labels are important to read. The vital ingredient in fish oil supplements is omega-3 fatty acids, specifically EPA and DHA.
Many labels simply mention the total count of omega-3 fatty acids. This kind of information is not very helpful as you do not know the actual amount of EPA and DHA inside the fish oil supplement.
A fish oil supplement label should show the amount of EPA and DHA separately. The total of both EPA and DHA should be between 1000 mg to 1500 mg. The ratio of EPA against DHA should be 2:1. According to the FDA, you should not consume more 2000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Look for pharmaceutical grade fish oil. This should be mentioned on the label. This type of fish oil is the highest grade because it is molecularly distilled, a process that takes place in a vacuum to avoid oxidation of fish oil. This is the only process that successfully removes impurities and contaminants from fish oil. This process also produces a more concentrated form of fish oil supplement with high potencies of EPA and DHA.
- Find out some information about the manufacturer. Check out some of the other products the manufacturer produces. Check forums and the Better Business Bureau to see if the manufacturer has a good reputation. Preferably, choose a fish oil supplement that has been manufactured by a company that has been in existence for a number of years. Fly-by-night companies are not typically known for high quality standards.
If you cannot find any information about the manufacturer, it's better not to purchase their product.
- Enteric coating is an advantage and keeps away the unpleasant after taste. The special coating on capsules allows digestion to take place lower in the digestive tract, not in the stomach. This helps to avoid the unpleasant after burps that many people experience after taking fish oil supplements.
- Ideally, fish oil supplements should contain Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps to prevent oxidation during storage. But it is also necessary because a regular intake of fish oil tends to deplete levels of Vitamin E in the body.
Health experts agree that there is immense value in regularly taking a quality fish oil supplement. Fish oil helps to support heart health, boost the immune system, and it promotes healthy brain functions. There are numerous other health benefits to taking a fish oil supplement which makes it the number one choice for supplementation.
Triple Strength Omega 3 contains pharmaceutical grade fish oil. It is high-quality fish oil that can boast a purity level of over 90 percent. With a DHA-EPA count of 1200 mg, this high potency fish oil supplement is safe to consume and maximizes the beneficial impact omega 3s can have on your health.
By choosing the right fish oil supplement, there is absolutely no reason to stop taking fish oil supplements for fear of harmful contaminants. If you're searching for the right fish oil supplement or want to switch to a safer brand, make sure it fits the above guidelines.