Co-enzyme Q 10 or CoQ10 is a vitamin-like substance that is necessary for the body's vital functions. An enzyme is a protein that acts as a catalyst in chemical reactions. Co-enzymes are needed by enzymes in the body to perform their functions.
The CoQ10 vitamin was discovered just about 60 years ago, by Professor Fredrick L. Crane and his colleagues. A biochemist from Purdue University, Dr. Crane explains, "CoQ10 is involved in energy conversion in the body. With low levels of the substance, muscles won't function properly; nerve impulses from the brain slow down, the activity of all body organs slow down." Since its discovery, research continues to throw light on how this vital nutrient works in the body.
Facts about CoQ10 Vitamin
- CoQ10 vitamin is a vital nutrient that the body requires for the production of energy.
- Your body can manufacture CoQ10 vitamin up to the age of twenty, after which levels of this vital nutrient begin to deplete.
- Certain prescription medicines, like statin, can accelerate the depletion of CoQ10 vitamin.
- Vigorous exercise, a severe illness, or a poor diet can also accelerate the loss of CoQ10 vitamin, as does the normal process of aging.
How important is CoQ10 as a nutrient?
- The CoQ10 vitamin is found in the mitochondria of every cell. It is noted that there is a concentration of CoQ10 in organs such as the heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas, since these organs require the most energy. CoQ10 is utilized by cells for the production of energy, cell maintenance and proliferation.
- CoQ10 not only helps in the production of energy, ATP, but is also essential for cell respiration and electron transfer.
- CoQ10 vitamins are also effective antioxidants. As such, CoQ10 plays a role in supporting cellular health and protecting cells from free radicals, believed to be the basis of many of today's degenerative ailments.
- Because of its ability to stimulate the rate of body metabolism, it is believed to aid in weight management.
- The CoQ10 vitamin boosts brain power by increasing energy levels in the brain.
- CoQ10 may help to regulate normal blood pressure, especially in people who experience high anxiety levels. Although more research is required, there is enough suggestive evidence that supports the use of CoQ10 supplements for regulating normal blood pressure.
- There is also suggestive evidence that shows CoQ10 vitamins may help to support oral health and ease chronic fatigue.
CoQ10 Vitamin Supplements
Like all nutrients, the CoQ10 vitamin is more easily absorbed by the system in combination with other nutrients. Look for a multi-vitamin supplement that contains CoQ10, along with a broad spectrum of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and amino acids which can provide you with complete nutritional support for promoting and maintaining a wide variety of specific and general health needs. Most multi-vitamin formulas do not contain this essential nutrient, but a broad-spectrum formula like MultiVescence contains these nutrients:
- CoQ10 supports a healthy heart
- Selenium and zinc boost immunity
- Vitamins C and E are powerful antioxidants that particularly support skin health and anti-aging
- Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium support healthy bones and joints, as well as heart health.
- Potassium, along with other minerals, help regulate normal blood pressure.
- B vitamins are essential for neural health and healthy brain functions.
- L-glutamine helps to boost immunity.
- Folic acid plays a role in supporting heart health by regulating healthy homocysteine levels.
- Citrus bio-flavonoids support immunity.
The key factor for choosing a high-quality multi-vitamin is formulation. It should contain all essential nutrients and provide maximum bio-availability. Most multi-vitamin tablets will give you 60 to 70 percent bio-availability. With an effervescent formula, like MultiVescence, 99 percent of all nutrients are available to the body and are absorbed immediately after ingestion. Effervescent technology enables intestinal walls to absorb nutrients more efficiently and faster.
Add some bubble to your morning routine! Effervescent multivitamins, like MultiVescence, are a refreshing way to get your daily multi-vitamins and a healthy dose of energy-aiding CoQ10 vitamin.