A healthy chili treat made specially for vegetarians.
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 sweet red or green pepper, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 can (16 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream]
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté, stirring, about 7 minutes or until softened and golden. Stir in chili powder and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Sauté celery, carrots, and sweet pepper, stirring frequently, 6 to 7 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Add squash, kidney beans, and corn. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the parsley and top each serving with sour cream.