Very healthy soup for beef and veggie lovers!!
- 1/2 lb lean boneless top round steak
- 1 vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.75 oz can) no-salt-added beef broth
- 1 (14.75 oz can) no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 medium-size yellow squash, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 mall zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Trim fat from steak; cut steak into 1-inch pieces. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add steak; cook until browned on all sides, stirring often. Remove steak from Dutch oven, and set aside.
- Add oil to Dutch oven. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; add sugar and salt. Cook 15 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add beef, water, and next 5 ingredients to onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.