These homemade lettuce wraps tend to be a favorite. They are also a healthy alternative to most lettuce wraps. Unlike most wraps that tend to be high in calories and fat due to the excess oil and fatty beef - these wraps are leaner, healthier, and taste great!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or substitute chicken for 12 oz extra-lean ground beef)
- 1 - 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup purchased Hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 12 large leaf lettuce leaves
- Put a wok or a 12-inch heavy skillet on high heat until almost smoking, then add oil.
- Add ginger, salt, and 1 cup chopped onion and stir-fry about 35 to 45 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, or about 2 minutes. If substituting beef for chicken cook for 4 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, red bell pepper, Hoisin sauce, Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, and carrots and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Serve stir-fry by spooning into lettuce leaves and wrapping them.