Eating Pizza the Right Way
Here are some easy steps to remember :
1. Easy on the Cheese Please ! This is probably the most unhealthy item we find on pizza, so avoid going overboard. Surprisingly cheese on pizza can be good for you in moderation. Try sticking to a single layer if you are a cheese lover, and avoid having cheese stuffed into every possible location of your pizza wedges. A study done by the Journal Obesity Research showed that women and men that cut down on calories but added dairy selections high in calcium to their diets lost 70% more weight over a period of 24 months than those that dieted.
2. Chose your toppings wisely ! Pepperoni the least healthy meat topping you can get on your pizza, so avoid whenever possible. Even replacing your peperoni with bacon is a healthier choice. Another good alternative to peperoni is turkey peperoni. The best toppings to chose are veggies, so even if you are craving meat, order a veggie pizza and add your favorite meat topping. This is a much healthier solution.
3. Thin whole wheat crusts ! Thinner crusts have lesser calories, and whole wheat crusts are full of fiber. The fiber will fill you up quicker and keep you from eating a whole pizza to yourself. Fiber also keeps your digestive system healthy and can reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and stroke.
4. A lot of Sauce ! Pile on the sauce as much as you like ! Even order extra for dipping ! The healthiest part of regular pizza is the tomato sauce so keep loading it on ! Tomato sauce is a great source of Vitamin C, and can help reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men.
5. Order a side with your pizza. Ordering a side salad with your pizza will force you to eat your veggies, and fill you up before you indulge in delicious gooeyness. A salad with as many colors and vegetables along with a lean dressing will make sure your meal is complete.
6. Making your own pizza ? If you are making a pizza at home try to plan ahead and prepare the dough a day before. Then, the next day put on an apron and crank up that oven ! Your oven will never get as hot as a pizzeria oven, so cranking it to the max will give you the thinnest crunchiest crust on your pizza. Also, use a pizza stone to bake your pizzas in. It is the best way to let the heat get to the dough.
7. Enjoy your healthy pizza !!!!!!!!!