A fruity French toast that is very low in fat...
- 1 cup reduced-fat creme cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped dried cherries
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped dried blueberries
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped dried apricots
- 1 tsp minced fresh mint
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 8 slice cinnamon raisin bread
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 Tbl maple syrup
- For the filling: In a mixing bowl, soften the cream cheese by stirring vigorously or by warming slightly over a water bath. Stir in the dried fruits and mint.
- For the French Toast: Spread 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture on a slice of bread and top with another slice of bread. Repeat to make 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and buttermilk until just combined. Whisk in the cinnamon, allspice, and maple syrup.
- Dip both sides of each sandwich into the batter and place on the hot griddle.
- Cook until browned, about 3 minutes, and flip.
- Cook until browned on the remaining side.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 pieces and serve warm.
- Garnish with fresh berries, if desired.