It is dubbed as the crown jewel of nutrition, fully packed with vitamins, high fiber content and low calorie properties. This simple low-fat version of soup is a savory dish that is quite tasty, easy to prepare and so good for you. Try this great warming soup anytime.
- 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-10 oz. packages frozen broccoli
- Note: If using frozen broccoli, thaw enough to separate.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 lb. processed reduced fat cheese, cubed cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the margarine in a heavy pan.
- Add celery, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli and broth, bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from fire and puree in a blender (may need to do it in 2 batches).
- Return to pan and stir the pureed broccoli; add milk and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust consistency by adding more milk or broth and seasoning if soup is too thick.
- Heat through and serve immediately. If desired, garnish soup with a few tiny broccoli florets (cut large individual florets into quarters). You can eat this alongside whole-wheat rolls or bread.