Flavorful Vegan dish you feel like you are in India in every bite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth (can use chicken broth for non-vegan version)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup dried red lentils, soaked in water overnight and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic,mushrooms and carrots. Cook for five minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are softened.
- Add broth, rice, lentils, ginger root, coriander,cumin,turmeric,salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and green onions. Cover and simmer for 3-4 more minutes, or until rice and lentils are tender. Remove from heat and serve immediately.