This is a low fat braised beef dish made with lean beef, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. It's a good comfort food that can warm you up during cold nights. Also great with crusty breads or noodles.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean stewing beef (top round or sirloin tip round)
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 8-ounce pack cremini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup fat-free beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Italian blend herbs
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown beef and transfer to a plate.
- Add potato, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and mushrooms to the pot. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in wine, scraping any brown bits. Add broth, tomato paste and herbs. Stir well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add browned beef then cover pot with its tight-fitting lid. Transfer to a 300-degree oven for 2-1/2 hours or cook (covered) on the stovetop at a bare simmer for the same period of time, stirring occasionally.