Flaky and yummy!
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Reroll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds. Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.
- Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits: Add 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to flour mixture. Decrease buttermilk to 1/3 cup; add 3/4 cup canned pumpkin to buttermilk mixture. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes