This healthy soup is sure to be a new favorite!
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil (or, you can substitute thyme and oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes (optional if not using hot turkey sausage)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and continue cooking and stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Stir in tortellini, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes (until pasta is tender) stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over each serving.