Very refreshing! Can be a side dish to any of your favorite meat recipes.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup bias-sliced small green beans (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- In medium saucepan, combine mushrooms, broth, and barley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add green beans; cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes more or until barley is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. If necessary, drain.
- Stir the chopped tomato, basil, rosemary, salt, and red pepper into barley mixture. Heat through. Serve with the tomato slices. Sprinkle individual servings with Parmesan cheese