This is a healthy breakfast option that will surely fill you up and satisfy your taste buds. Be creative and top your waffles with fresh fruits for added taste.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup sifted light rye flour
- 1-1/2 cups sifted whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups water
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- butter (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- Slowly add the 1/4 cup of water to the yeast to make a thick paste-like mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients then add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- While mixing the dry ingredients, slowly add the remaining 2-2.5 cups of water and the yeast mixture until you get a cake batter consistency.
- Beat the mixture vigorously for a few minutes.
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar and beat them until the whites are stiff. It should form a peak.
- Gently fold the whites into the batter. Do not stir or beat.
- Use non-stick iron-waffle to cook.
- Serve with butter and syrup if desired. Or top with your favorite fruits.