A delicious, high fiber soup!
- 1 1/2 cups dry garbanzo beans
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh shelled green peas
- Place the garbanzo beans in a pot with enough water to cover, and soak 8 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, stir together the soaked beans and vegetable stock. Mix in 2 cloves minced garlic and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the remaining garlic, tomatoes, and basil in the skillet, and cook 2 minutes, or just until the basil is wilted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix the fennel and onions into the pot with the garbanzo beans. Season with salt. Continue cooking 15 minutes. Mix in the tomatoes, basil, and peas, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until peas are tender. Serve hot.