Add a little spice to a drab winter day with this tasty low fat soup!
- 2 1/2 lbs Potatoes (about 5 potatoes) peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Margarine
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 4 cups Chicken Broth (99% fat free)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp* Chopped Jalapeno Peppers
- 2 cups Evaporated Milk (nonfat)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Baking Soda
- In a large pot at medium heat, melt the margarine and saute chopped onions.
- When the onions have turned clear add the cumin, chicken broth and potatoes. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat back to medium, cover and cook until potatoes are soft enough to eat (about 20 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat and add evaporated milk, a pinch of baking soda and the copped jalapenos.
- In the pot, mash the potatoes and add salt and pepper.
- Return to heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.