Simply irresistible straight out of the oven!
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine the water, yeast, and sugar and allow to proof.
- Then add the salt, then flour and knead until no longer sticky.
- Place in an oiled bowl turning to coat all sides, and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16x12 inch rectangle. Cut dough in half, creating two 8x12 inch rectangles. Roll up each half of dough tightly, beginning at 12 inch side, pounding out any air bubbles as you go. Roll gently back and forth to taper end.
- Place 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Make deep diagonal slashes across loaves every 2 inches, or make one lengthwise slash on each loaf. Cover, and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush over tops of loaves. (for crunchier crust use egg whites instead of egg yokes)
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.