Do you want an easy way to go meatless without sacrificing protein efficiency? It is cholesterol free, low in saturated fats and ideal for weight control. The amazingly versatile tofu may be used with excellent results. It goes particularly well when combined with nuts and sprouts.
- 7 - 8 ounces extra-firm tofu cut into thin 1-inch segments
- a couple pinches of fine-grain sea salt
- a couple splashes of olive or peanut oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans (or peanuts), toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts (or cabbage), washed and cut into 1/8-inch wide ribbons
- Pour oil in a hot pot or skillet.
- Add tofu slices, sauté for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sauté tomato, nuts and cook for one minute.
- Mix in sugar and cook for another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro.
- Set aside while cooking Brussels sprouts.
- Use the same pan (without washing); add little oil.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, put in Brussels sprouts or cabbage.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, stir until there are few golden bits.
- Serve just-cooked Brussels sprouts, topped with cooked tofu.