Very low-fat side dish that is not only delicious but is also a good source of dietary fiber.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup OSCAR MAYER Smoked Ham, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Sofrito (Recaíto)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 lb. West Indian pumpkin (calabaza), peeled, cut into chunks (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup alcaparrado condiment (recipe follows), drained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) pink or red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- HEAT oil in large saucepot on medium heat. Add ham; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- ADD tomato sauce and sofrito sauce base; mix well. Cook 5 minutes. Add broth and pumpkin; mix well. Cover. Bring to boil. Stir in alcaparrado condiment and beans. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low. Season to taste with pepper.
- SIMMER, uncovered, 15 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve over hot cooked rice.