Could be chunky, could be smooth, your choice! Buts it perfect partner for your toasted slices.
- 4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground cloves
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- Combine apples and cider in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Place apple mixture in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until chunky. Return to pan.
- Stir in sugar and remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat 1 hour or until thick, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon and star anise. Cover and chill.
- Note: Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 month.