A different twist for your regular mashed potatoes!
- 3 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chive
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with cold water to 2 inches above. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return the potatoes to pan over low heat; add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and butter to pan. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- 2. Add cheese and pepper to potato mixture; stir until cheese melts. Stir in milk; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in chives.
- Parmesan and Black Pepper Smashed Potatoes: Prepare the recipe through step 1. Substitute 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for goat cheese. Increase to 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk; omit chives. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley