Low-fat muffins for people who also love ginger and cinnamon.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup light or fat-free cream cheese or sour cream
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Powdered sugar for dusting over the top of the muffins if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add muffin liners to 20 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda with boiling water, stir briefly, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder with whisk.
- Fit your electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine canola oil, light cream cheese or sour cream, and brown sugar together by beating on medium speed.
- While beating on low speed, add molasses, the baking soda mixture and the flour mixture.
- Now beat in the egg and egg substitute.
- Fill muffin cups each with about 1/4-cup of batter.
- Bake until the top center of a muffin barely springs back when gently pressed (about 22-25 minutes).
- Let the muffins cool; then dust the tops with powdered sugar if desired.