These deliciously moist muffins have the perfect combination of everything to make them a great start to your morning, or a tasty midday snack!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil 18 muffin cups (or coat with non-stick cooking spray). You can also use baking papers rather than oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple sauce, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple sauce mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.