I've seen this in the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.
- 1 cup grits, cooked
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplant
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 (7oz)can mushrooms with liquid
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- First, grease a 9" deep dish pie plate with 1 tbsp of the oil, press grits into the pan and set aside.
- Second, peel eggplant and cube. Place into the saucepan and add enough water to cover. Cook it over low heat until soft, 15 mins.
- Third, heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a skilled over medium heat and saute garlic and onion until golden.
- Fourth, grain eggplant and mash lightly.
- Fifth, mix together eggplant and mushroom liquid, stir until smooth. Stir in baking soda and until to the eggplant. Stir in onion, garlic, seasonings, salt, mushrooms and breadcrumbs and spoon into pan. Top with cheese.
- Sixth, baked over 350 degree F for 25 minutes.