Fabulous sweet corn that makes up this popular colonial pudding.
- 3 cups frozen whole-kernel corn kernels, thawed and divided
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Dash of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 6 tablespoons oyster crackers, crushed and divided
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 1 cup corn, 1/4 cup evaporated milk, and half-and-half in a blender; process until smooth. Combine remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and egg white in a large bowl. Stir in pureed corn mixture, remaining 2 cups corn, 3 tablespoons crackers, and cornmeal.
- Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons crackers and butter in a small bowl; sprinkle cracker mixture evenly over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.