Whether or not you have ever eaten Collard Greens, you are sure to love this recipe and not only does it taste good but it is very low in calories so your free to eat more if you have a big appetite.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 smoked turkey drumstick
- 5 bunches collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté garlic in olive oil, until light brown. Add the chicken stock and turkey leg. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add collard greens and cook for 45 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add salt & pepper to taste, reduce heat to medium and allow the contents to continue cooking until the greens are tender and dark green.
- Drain Greens, reserving liquid. Mix in red pepper flakes if desired.
- Use the reserved liquid to heat leftovers