An easy recipe for something that kids will surely love. -
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 3 (3- by 1-inch) strips fresh orange zest
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (3 1/2-lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cook onion in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in coffee, zest, cinnamon stick, and brown sugar, then bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle beef all over with salt and pepper, then add to pot.
- Transfer pot to oven and braise, tightly covered, until meat is very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Skim fat from sauce and discard cinnamon stick.