A very refreshing recipe from the cookbook 'The Italian Country Table' by Lynne Rossetto Kasper
- Half of a 2 1/2 to 3 pound ripe cantaloupe, seeds removed
- Several pale green leaves from the center of a head of curly endive
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives or scallion tops
- With a melon baller, scoop out 1-inch balls from the melon and place into a medium bowl. Line an 8-inch white serving plate with the endive greens.
- Sprinkle the melon with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss with the olive oil, then the wine vinegar. Spoon onto greens, scatter the chives over the melon, and serve.