Liza

One day at a time... I struggled so much with forward rolls back when I started jiu jitsu: my brain just didn't want to believe I wouldn't break my neck :D
lol glad i'm not the only one intimidated by them. I'm still a little concerned about hurting myself! When did you start jiu jitsu and are you still doing it?
Don't age yourself before you are old, Liza
Thanks Cate...it's when I realize that I think I did something just a few years back (like I thought with the forward rolls) and then realize that it was like 20 years ago that I do feel like wow--i must be old! I find it hard to believe how fast the years go these days....but yes, still young yet!
I can see you trying out new things & challenging yourself in another 30+ years :grouphug:
I hope so. I have a lot of older friends who are so inspiring to me. A lot of very active people into their 70's so I plan to be one of them if i make it to that age :)

Yesterday may have overdone it with the walk-run session...foot was hurting pretty bad into the afternoon...i'll see how it goes today and adjust my running schedule accordingly. It's hard for me to stick to the recovery schedule as when I start running i feel so good and so I think--well I'll just do a little extra, thinking my injury isn't that bad...but yeah maybe not the best approach.
I got into the trails and continued the walk-run session in there so I think that's good for that agility training as I'm making my way over and around lots of roots and rocks...i also run a little faster during my running intervals knowing that i'm getting 1 minute walking breaks to every 3 minutes of running.

Did some yoga before I headed out and then added in a bunch of walking...so a pretty active day in all.

Ate well. Too much sugar though. Yes so much harder to stop when i begin eating sugar than not eating it at all...but not ready to give it up.

I keep wanting to begin gardening and then we get another cold snap...good for me to remember to be patient and not jump ahead. I will start sketching out a good timeline to begin some indoor starts and when I will begin planting outside.

Yesterday
yoga-20 mins
run-30 mins
walk-1.5 hours
calorie deficit -290
sugar calories 417!

When did you start jiu jitsu and are you still doing it?
Oh... 13 years ago? I didn't stick with it long though: I really enjoyed the sport but the preponderance of unwashed toxic masculinity made it hard to participate comfortably. Was that simultaneously vague enough to not be mean and clear enough to be understood?
It's hard for me to stick to the recovery schedule as when I start running i feel so good and so I think--well I'll just do a little extra, thinking my injury isn't that bad...but yeah maybe not the best approach.
:p Yeah, maybe the people who made the program knew what they were doing.

I can see you being a very fit & active 70-year-old. Take care not to injure yourself, Liza as that can cause all sorts of problems as you get older. Yoga is definitely good for you & something to do forever if you can. Whoops with the sugar calories. Sugar is a trap. I can't have certain things in my house like fruit-flavoured gel lollies (snakes etc) or they would be gone, so I never buy them.

Oh... 13 years ago? I didn't stick with it long though: I really enjoyed the sport but the preponderance of unwashed toxic masculinity made it hard to participate comfortably. Was that simultaneously vague enough to not be mean and clear enough to be understood?
Yeah I would find something so high contact and mixed gender very challenging...i like my space!
Yeah, maybe the people who made the program knew what they were doing.
haha yeah...well the program is generic and made for all levels of return from injury...right up to being unable to run for a few weeks...so that's why I'm looking at adjusting it for my level of injury since i wasn't that severely injured...they also say some level of pain is ok if you recover within a certain amt of time...so it's a bit flexible...but yeah i need to be sure not to push it so as not to just keep at a semi-injured state forever!
Whoops with the sugar calories. Sugar is a trap. I can't have certain things in my house like fruit-flavoured gel lollies (snakes etc) or they would be gone, so I never buy them.
Yes if I don't go out to where there are sugar temptations I do ok because I don't have much in my house to tempt me...just honey, and granola...but it's when I go out that I really fall...it's almost worse because i want to fit in all the sugar I can before I go back home to my place that is void of all that.
Yesterday when i was out I could really feel that I was eating it to get that relaxed brain feeling...that is what really gets me...it's my equivalent of wine for sure...oh well the challenge continues...

Yesterday was challenging. Was tired and stressed and anxiety levels up..so yes overate on sugar again (with clear intention to get that relaxed feeling) and didn't do well for cooking either so really lacked veggie intake. I was so exhausted by the evening I was just trying to fight the anxiety enough that i would be able to sleep. Happily i did sleep well and feel much better this morning.

I did have a good strength and stretch session yesterday and got a fair amount of walking in...so not a total loss or anything.

Stretch and strength-30 min
walk-45 mins
calories--abt maintenance
sugar calories-456 :(

will definitely try and take care to not get stressed today and keep that sugar at a far lower amount.

Just on the age thing - I think when you're younger, you have certain thoughts and feelings about what being a certain age means, and then you get to that age, and you realise that all of those thoughts and feelings were just plain wrong.

I had a friend in college (when we were really young!) and she had this theory that everybody peaks at different times. Some people peak at 16, others peak at 60.

I think if you want to mix things up in your life, the best time to do it is now. You more than likely have another 40 years to go. What would make you happy for the next 40?

I hope you have a lovely stress-free day, Liza :grouphug:
Thanks Cate--yesterday was much better!
You more than likely have another 40 years to go. What would make you happy for the next 40?
oh boy that's a big question! ....uncertain...

I think the furthest I can look is maybe the next 5 years...I was happy with many elements in my life before the pandemic and was even happy with things during the pandemic, but as things opened up I have been having some trouble opening myself back up...so that will be my focus for now. Looking at where I might want to be in 5 years and working it backwards from there with smaller goals in the meantime that hopefully will get me back going in the right direction again. So much in my life is so good right now so that's great, but I do need to do a bit of tweaking here and there...

I went to bed early last night and lay there considering what I want, what is missing, and how could it be addressed...i woke up pretty inspired and have some ideas I am currently working on...it's nice to feel hopeful at least and to have some ideas I can pursue...who knows where they will take me, but they are a start.

Did my walk-run yesterday. It went well. I felt depressed much of the day so doing the healthy things took a bit more effort but I went through the motions--did my running, my walking, my eating well, even played some piano...it's tough when I feel so uninspired...but yeah good to just do the healthy things anyhow.

Did a little better with sugar but need to get back to bigger deficits again if i ever want to see the scale moving back downwards!

Yesterday:
run-36 mins
walk-45 mins
calorie deficit -160
sugar calories 362

Well done caring for yourself despite feeling depressed. And yay for inspiration for the future!

I'm glad you felt inspired when you woke up and sticking to the good habits when you're not 'feeling it' is amazing work that will stand to you.

Thanks @Llama ,@Cate and @Emilyrose !
Been focusing the last couple of days on getting some of those inspiring ideas in motion so haven't been around here...but last couple of days have gone well...

Yesterday was weigh-in day. Still no change. That is interesting to me as I really feel like I've been cutting back a lot on sweets, and getting more deficits and doing well with recording the calories so it's not just all by feel...but yeah scale still at 143, body fat back to 26% at least...but yeah that one just seems to go back and forth between 26 and 27.

Anyhow, i don't care that much but it does feel surprising and I keep waiting for that scale to go down...
But I am feeling strong and healthy--up to 13 pushups, my forward rolls are getting smoother, my foot's been feeling better and am enjoying my walk-run program.

And yes, am feeling more optimistic about some ideas I'm pursuing...so that's all good.

i am really starting to feel the start of spring too. Still getting some colder days but I am excited for the gardens to begin!

That is interesting to me as I really feel like I've been cutting back a lot on sweets, and getting more deficits and doing well with recording the calories so it's not just all by feel...
Did you subtract the difference between your normal running kms and your current walkrun ones? That could make a difference.
But I am feeling strong and healthy--up to 13 pushups, my forward rolls are getting smoother, my foot's been feeling better and am enjoying my walk-run program.
♥️ That's the main thing.

That's great, Liza. I'm glad you are not obsessed with the scales as it seems like you are doing well.
And yes, am feeling more optimistic about some ideas I'm pursuing...so that's all good.
Sounds really interesting & promising xo

Did you subtract the difference between your normal running kms and your current walkrun ones? That could make a difference.
I always put in my exercise as separate each day to cronometer...so yes definitely counting in the difference since slowing down on the time spent running.
Sounds really interesting & promising
We'll see...i have a few different ideas going and don't feel overly attached to any one thing working out...i'm actually feeling better even just in the exploration of new ideas...
That's great, Liza. I'm glad you are not obsessed with the scales as it seems like you are doing well.
Yes can't control the scales...can only do what I do and let the scales do their thing :)

Didn't record calories yesterday. Will get back to it today. I have definitely been feeling a bit scattered pursuing the other ideas I have...but that has slowed a bit now so hopefully can get back more to routine again. I did have a nice day, ate somewhat ok, got my stretch and strength session in, got a good haul of groceries, got my place cleaned up and got some piano playing in...so I'm happy with all that.

Today is walk-run day...I think I go up to a 6:1 ratio now, so slowly working up...someone I see out quite a bit asked me if I might want to run with them sometime...i said sure...but actually I don't feel that sure...it would be very different running with someone I think...but could be fun I guess...anyways we'll see if it ever happens. I was thinking of finding a running group lately but the one that meets here is actually quite far away so I had scrapped that idea. A running group would seem easier than just one other person because you would have a variety of paces in a group whereas with just one person I think I would feel like you have to either speed up or slow down to match the other person...

It would be another new thing to try and if they turn out not to be fun to run with you can just say mismatched speed took you out of your concentration too much to repeat the experiment.

Sometimes the scales are just weird and stubborn 🤷‍♀️

I think you should go for it! Take these opportunities Liza! They probably have a fair idea of your pace or they wouldn’t have asked you.

Sometimes the scales are just weird and stubborn
Yes I've never had this happen before..I am starting some research on weight plateaus and what to do about them...one theory is I am not losing weight because i am gaining muscle...which could be true...my arms have never been this strong!
It would be another new thing to try and if they turn out not to be fun to run with you can just say mismatched speed took you out of your concentration too much to repeat the experiment.
I think you should go for it! Take these opportunities Liza! They probably have a fair idea of your pace or they wouldn’t have asked you.
2 votes for go for it :)....we'll see...

Yes I should be open to different things. i really like running alone as I don't have to make conversation, or match paces, but yes could see how it goes...I know before when I was in a hiking group I never liked it as I felt like i had to keep making conversation with people instead of just enjoying nature...i feel like it would be similar in running with others...
I do like walking with friends as then the conversation is easy, but I guess that's how people become friends is by giving them a chance...and then yes, could always just make an easy excuse of why not to meet again if we don't click.

Anyways had a good walk-run yesterday. Ate too much...but just around maintenance rather than over maintenance.

Run-36 mins
walk-1 hour
calories-maintenance
sugar-342

one theory is I am not losing weight because i am gaining muscle...which could be true.
Could absolutely play a role and I hate to be a Debbie Downer but gaining ten pounds of muscle in a year would be a large amount for a 1) woman who 2) struggles to get enough protein in regular, 3) aims for calorie deficits, and 4) doesn't do heavy resistance training. I wouldn't expect muscle gain to completely cover up your fat loss on the scale. Tired muscles adapting to new kinds of exercise and/or seasonal allergies could add a couple of pounds of water maybe?

Could absolutely play a role and I hate to be a Debbie Downer but gaining ten pounds of muscle in a year would be a large amount for a 1) woman who 2) struggles to get enough protein in regular, 3) aims for calorie deficits, and 4) doesn't do heavy resistance training. I wouldn't expect muscle gain to completely cover up your fat loss on the scale. Tired muscles adapting to new kinds of exercise and/or seasonal allergies could add a couple of pounds of water maybe?
oh yes--i didn't mean gaining from over the last few years..i just meant that in the last month or so where the scale has stayed at 143 despite having a deficit in calories...could be that my body is just gaining that muscle so the deficits aren't translating yet...but yes could be other things too...water weight could certainly be part of it as my muscles are often sore and then there is the inflammation with my plantar fasccitis...and there are other theories around why there would be a plateau. Just in the past when I did get this amount of deficit the scale did move down...so something's going on...
anyways not concerned about it as I am probably my strongest and fittest I've been in a long time!

...but maybe you could clarify what you mean by gaining 10 pounds in a year? I haven't gained 10 pounds in a year...i started at 146 about 6 months ago, got as far down as 139, then back up to 143 where it's stuck the last month or so...

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't explain myself properly! Those ten pounds had nothing to do with you specifically: they're my go-to for "a lot for any woman trying to gain muscle who isn't taking PEDs". Divide that up over the year and you get a monthly muscle gain of under a pound. So unless your reasonably expected weightloss for the past month was less than a pound muscle gain can't be the sole explanation for a lack of weightloss.

Being the strongest and fittest you've ever been is SUCH a big win though!

Back