Liza

Sorry to hear your sleep is a bit off. I too struggle to sleep if I am hungry. You are not overweight and your body fat is good, so maybe you should just go to maintenance or even just 100 calories under? I definitely think exercise makes me hungrier, and the body gets very loud and demanding when it's hungry!

Interesting! Shows how different we all are.
yes we all have to find our own way I guess...
That does sound like a good day. I'm glad you got out for a nice long walk xo
Yes was a bit disappointing to have to skip the run but I love me a good long walk!
Sorry to hear your sleep is a bit off. I too struggle to sleep if I am hungry. You are not overweight and your body fat is good, so maybe you should just go to maintenance or even just 100 calories under? I definitely think exercise makes me hungrier, and the body gets very loud and demanding when it's hungry!
Yes I will definitely tweak this if the sleeplessness continues...I am hoping I will adjust as I do feel ready to start shedding some pounds again. I especially like the idea of the body getting a nice long rest time from needing to digest food...and I am enjoying having eating done at 8, clean up the kitchen and be done with it...

Yesterday went well hunger-wise. i felt totally satisfied and fine not eating in the evening...but yes, again with the sleep. I was awake at 4 am and tried unsuccessfully to get back to sleep. I felt all alert. haha. I did lie there anyhow and put on some relaxation meditations but they didn't put me back to sleep...so the experiment continues! I don't want to get up at 4 and start eating and training the body that we're just shifting schedules...i want it to realize that we are trying to go for about 10 hours without food. Eventually I hope to get it to 12 hours.

Got a nice strength and stretch session in yesterday. And also I saw that they put in new equipment at that playground where i hope to get back to practicing chin ups...it's not open yet, but seeing as the equipment is in place, it shouldn't be long now...I am hoping that the strengthening stuff I have been doing in the meantime will help me when I go back to try chin ups again. I am happy with how my push ups are progressing. i got up to 7 in a row yesterday. My arms look so much stronger these days.

so strength and stretch-30 mins
walk-30 mins
calorie deficit -197
sugar calories 262
protein--104%

Well done on the push-ups and all that protein! I hate not being able to fall asleep again when I wake up too early, even if I don't feel tired during the day (and it's about to be that time of year again...) so I hope your body adjusts soon.

Got a nice strength and stretch session in yesterday. And also I saw that they put in new equipment at that playground where i hope to get back to practicing chin ups...it's not open yet, but seeing as the equipment is in place, it shouldn't be long now...I am hoping that the strengthening stuff I have been doing in the meantime will help me when I go back to try chin ups again. I am happy with how my push ups are progressing. i got up to 7 in a row yesterday. My arms look so much stronger these days.
Excellent news & well done on having stronger-looking arms these days.
I hope your sleep gets sorted out soon, Liza.

I hate not being able to fall asleep again when I wake up too early, even if I don't feel tired during the day (and it's about to be that time of year again...)
Yeah, i mean I wouldn't mind turning into one of those people that only need like 5 hours of sleep (if they do indeed exist!)...but I know for me lack of sleep can often mean increased anxiety and crap, so I definitely value getting proper rest.
Excellent news & well done on having stronger-looking arms these days.
Thanks Cate. Yes my arms have always looked so wimpy in the past so it's interesting to see this muscular development!
Oh God, push-ups are so hard for me. I can barely do one! 7 is great!!
Thanks! yes I've always found pushups so hard too. And actually I hadn't been including them in my strengthening routine because I found them too hard. I was using the resistance bands to do other exercises, so I must have strengthened the same muscles needed for pushups. It was a pleasant surprise! I hope I will be as pleasantly surprised when I go back to trying chinups!

Well yesterday went well. Probably one of the easiest days for not eating in the evening. I actually had to force myself to eat supper at 7 pm though as I wasn't feeling that hungry, but knew I would need that food before the night was through so I made a simple soup and had that.
I did have a really big lunch so maybe my body is trying to shift to a bigger midday meal, lighter eating at night. That could work as long as it doesn't try to fit in an overeating session.

I had an unfortunate weigh-in this morning though. Still at 143, body fat back up to 27%....so yeah a little disappointing after all that good effort all week. Could be pms though so I'll reserve judgement on my new plan until next week's weigh in.
My plan is to just stay the course this week. No new goals. I'll be happy if I can just keep this up for another week.

Yesterday was
1 hour walk
calorie deficit-226
sugar calories 300
protein-85%

but I know for me lack of sleep can often mean increased anxiety and crap
That plus a desire for calorie-dense food. No sleep is no bueno.
Still at 143, body fat back up to 27%
A 1 percentage point difference really doesn't mean anything. Could be a 0.1 percentage point with different rounding, plus water retention makes a difference for your fat percentage count on bodyfat scales even though the people who sell them would prefer if you didn't ask about that.

I would love to build my muscles up but really have no idea where to start. Good for you, Liza :)

1 percentage point difference really doesn't mean anything. Could be a 0.1 percentage point with different rounding, plus water retention makes a difference for your fat percentage count on bodyfat scales even though the people who sell them would prefer if you didn't ask about that.
Yes my bodyfat measurements aren't accurate as it's just based on measurements...so yeah it's only really useful for me to get a rough estimate and to see how things are going...much like weight or bmi only means so much...I know i was hoping for a scale drop, but realistically according to my deficits it would have only been a 0.5 pound drop and with pms the scales usually go up a bit...so yeah...
I would love to build my muscles up but really have no idea where to start. Good for you, Liza :)
I really like the resistance bands. I think they're my favorite way to do strengthening.
'Breakfast like a king; lunch like a prince; dinner like a pauper.' I think there's something to be said for it. :)
Yes for sure...i know I grew up with it a bit the opposite way around, but I have heard it's better for a heavier beginning and a lighter end...we'll see how i adapt!

Bad sleep again! I didn't even feel at all hungry when I went to bed. But was awake at several points throughout the night and had to keep putting on guided relaxation stuff to put me back to sleep...In the end I was in bed for about 8 hours though...just a really disrupted night...lots of good and interesting dreams though so at least it was entertaining...probably more interesting than my waking life these days haha.

Got an excellent long run in yesterday. Was really pleasantly surprised at how well I did as I haven't been out for that sort of distance in a while and so when I mapped out my route it looked really intimidating. I was open to cutting it short if it felt like too much on route, but I actually felt really good out there. It was perfect running conditions so that really helped too.

The rest of the day I spent at home for nice quiet time. Got a nice meal made (rice, tofu, veggies) did some laundry and some cleaning, played piano, connected virtually with some friends...so yeah good day all round.

Run-90 mins
walk-20 mins
calorie deficit -430
sugar calories 188 ( a good portion from jelly beans that kept me fuelled on my run)
protein 92%

Interesting about the disrupted night despite being full enough 🤔 Wonder if it's just the relative lack of more relaxing carbs? Sounds like a lovely day though!

Do you have something that's worrying you at the moment Liza? I sleep badly when I have a problem that is yet to be resolved. Glad you had a good day.

I hope you can get your sleep pattern back to normal soon. I really need my sleep(7-8 hrs) & feel very out of sorts if I don't get it. You still did well getting out for a run & a great calorie deficit :)

Interesting about the disrupted night despite being full enough 🤔 Wonder if it's just the relative lack of more relaxing carbs? Sounds like a lovely day though!
yeah hard to say...i thought i would have adjusted by now...
Do you have something that's worrying you at the moment Liza? I sleep badly when I have a problem that is yet to be resolved. Glad you had a good day.
No nothing bothering me and my anxiety levels are low. I really think it's just the change in eating patterns...
I hope you can get your sleep pattern back to normal soon. I really need my sleep(7-8 hrs) & feel very out of sorts if I don't get it. You still did well getting out for a run & a great calorie deficit :)
Thanks Cate. Yes the run was so good.

I did get a good sleep last night. Could have been partly just from catching up from the night before, but also I ate over maintenance and also ate after dinner. I felt hungry at about 9 and so had some granola and yogurt and felt lots better and it gave me energy to get a nice piano session in as well as getting my dishes done and kitchen cleaned up...and then yes, such a great sleep...so yeah not sure how long i will keep trying for this 'no eating after dinner' idea...Maybe should just switch back to trying for a deficit, but not worrying when I eat...we'll see...i'll play it by ear today. The deficits may be the bigger problem in the sleep disruption...

Anyhow was a good day besides not meeting those goals. Another good strength and stretch session. Got up to 10 pushups in a row plus a couple of sets of 5 after that...so going to keep including those as part of the session.

strength and stretch-30 min
walk-40 min
calorie surplus 130
sugar calories 377
protein 103%
sleep-good

Bodies are peculiar and sometimes it takes a while for them to adapt. But then of course there's no guarantee they ever will...

Lovely to get some piano playing in. Maybe keep the evening snack if you feel better after it? Anyway, good to experiment and try.

Thanks @Llama @Cate and @Emilyrose

Yes I don't know if my body would ever adapt...I've always had blood sugar issues and have never done well with not eating for longer lengths of time, so maybe I'm not built for 12 hours of no food. I realize i do naturally go about 10 hours without food between last snack and breakfast so maybe that's enough to get at some of those fat stores. Anyways I will just play it by the day for now, try and be more mindful of not over-eating at night and aiming for some sort of deficit each day and keeping the sugar calories to below 300.

Yesterday it was nice to not feel like i had to try and fit my last meal in at 7pm. I didn't get home until 7 and then wanted to get the laundry going and wasn't ready to eat right away so I put the laundry on, made a simple soup and ate probably around 8 and then another snack at 9. And another good nights sleep!

Got a good run in yesterday, but my feet were sore afterwards again with that plantar fasciitis...so am going to need to figure out how to not make that a long-term issue. It might mean cutting back on running for a bit, or getting some insoles, or maybe just some new shoes, all while continuing to focus on stretching and doing the exercises for the plantar fasciitis...While I am running they don't hurt, but later in the day during my walk home they were hurting and I was very happy at the end of the day to get off my feet altogether.

Actually in general my body just feels sore all over today...going to really focus in on having a good yoga session this morning.

Anyways although my body felt a bit spent after yesterday's activity, i would say an overall good day.

run 1 hour
walk 40 mins
calorie deficit -183
sugar calories 310
protein 93%
sleep -good!

In the end the amount of calories you eat versus how many you burn determines whether you lose fat or gain it. Fasting may make it easier for some people to achieve that negative calorie balance and it might help with some hormonal issues but it's not a magic bullet.

Back