Liza

Knowing that while being happy with where you are right now is a great start. As is staying vigilant about how you relate to food and sweets
yes maybe I can switch focus a bit...see if i can find a new relationship to sweets...i thought i was off to a good start yesterday when I limited my sweets while out...then I came home and ate way too much of that chocolate bar again...sigh.
I'm glad you had a nice relatively pain-free run & have plans for another with a friend. You seem to have a good balance at the moment
Thanks Cate. Yes I feel pretty good lately. I'm happy to not feel much pressure to try and fit with some ideal image. I like how capable my body feels right now. How it supports me and allows me to enjoy my days.

Nice walk with my friend yesterday. We chose an easy, but very lovely route that I rarely get to these days. Was so nice.
Foot has remained pain free. I also added quite a bit of yoga to my morning strength and stretch session to really support that heel repair since a lot of it seems to do with tight calf muscles. Adding in that extra yoga again made my body happy--i can feel how stiff I am in so many areas. I think I need to stay focussed on flexibility probably even more than strength training at the moment. I mean ideally will keep up both, but I shouldn't add in flexibility as an afterthought, but rather keep it as one of the more important aspects of my well-being.

Ate mostly ok. A little light on veggies, so a little carb heavy...and yes too many sweets again. My day was a little off schedule and when it does that, it makes it harder to fit in a proper cooking session...and i'm out of salad at the moment so there was no easy go to for veggies besides some sauerkraut.

walk 90 mins
strength and stretch-45 mins
calorie surplus+264
sweets 515

I mean ideally will keep up both, but I shouldn't add in flexibility as an afterthought, but rather keep it as one of the more important aspects of my well-being.
So many things to keep track of, and they're all so important! Sometimes staying halfway healthy feels like a fulltime job.

So many things to keep track of, and they're all so important! Sometimes staying halfway healthy feels like a fulltime job.
yeah it really does!
I guess the thing is to add small manageable steps in a little at a time. Yesterday I didn't manage much yoga but I did do the sun salutation routine which is pretty good for incorporating a good variety of stretches...so yeah I need to remember that it doesn't need to be an hour's session or anything-- just even aiming for the sun salutation each day might be good enough for now...

I was happy with my weigh in this morning because I hadn't gained any more...i weigh throughout the week and the scales were often up but I guess it must have been water weight as this morning was still 143. Body Fat back down to 26%. So that's encouraging that so far at least I don't seem to be gaining.

Yesterday's calories at about maintenance. Too much sugar again. Evenings definitely seem to be my big downfall-i was in a pretty good deficit up until then, didn't even feel all that hungry for supper, but then once I'd had supper, kept eating...part of it seems to be me trying to get the energy or something to do my evening goals...or is it that I'm procrastinating on them...

I love the idea of stopping eating by 7pm (or even slowly working toward that--9 pm would even be a victory for me at this point!) so maybe I could slowly work toward that goal. I love the idea of evenings of just good herbal teas.

OK so this weeks goals is going to see if I can stop eating by 8pm by the end of the week without stuffing myself before then. Just a nice healthy supper around 7pm and then switch to herbal teas. And the other big focus will be trying to switch my relationship to sugar. Enjoy up to 300 calories worth and then finish it there...we'll see!

Setting goals too high sets me up for failure. Limiting sugar to 300 cals a day sounds like a good plan, Liza.

Not eating after dinner is my normal; I guess it's purely habit as well.
That's so good! I hope I can get into that same habit...although I do wonder if my evening overeating will just switch to a different time of day overeating...well we'll see!

Limiting sugar to 300 cals a day sounds like a good plan, Liza.
Yes I hope I can get there. Been trying to get there this past week but it's proven very difficult...will keep trying...that's one thing I'm hoping that cutting out evening snacks might help with.

Yesterday went well. Got out on a good run. I didn't run as far or as fast as the run schedule had me aiming for, but that's ok. I'm still trying to go easier on my foot (sure enough it did end up hurting later in the day after that run and walk) I ran for just over an hour and then walked through the nice foresty trails. I hadn't planned on that so hadn't taken any sort of fuel with me, so I was pretty tired and hungry by the time I got back. But i was glad I took the time to fry up some cabbage and carrots to go with my rice and beans and enjoyed a nice refuelling followed by a nap :) I love those sorts of days.
Later in the day I connected with some friends, so yeah, just a lovely day all round.

Ate my dinner around 7pm and mostly stayed away from food after that. Had 4 jelly beans, and some honey in my tea as well as a bit of a cracker( I have to have some food with my meds so I will always have to have something in the evening I guess.)

I felt like I didn't sleep quite as well as a result and woke hungry and my morning meditation felt less focussed...but I'm hoping my body will adjust over the next few days if I can keep this up. Nice deficit, which I haven't seen in a while, so that's encouraging.
Oh yeah--as far as sugar goes, i did do well, but I wasn't put in the way of temptation...all out of chocolate and didn't go out anywhere near treats...so yes, much easier.

Run 68 min
walk 70 min (much of it a slow meandering)
calorie deficit -418
sugar calories 197

That sounds like a lovely weekend overall & nice to have a good deficit. Well done, Liza :)

That sounds like a lovely weekend overall & nice to have a good deficit. Well done, Liza :)
:) Thanks Cate. Yes nice to finally see a deficit again! Hopefully this can be an easier way to achieve that...although last night I slept so little again and was awake so much earlier than usual...so maybe my body is going to just try and find a way to fit extra calories in by waking up earlier! I wouldn't mind waking earlier, but last night went to bed so late as I was trying to distract from the desire to eat and got absorbed in doing a puzzle and when I looked at the time it was already almost midnight...so yeah some glitches to work out. Only day 2 of the experiment so I have time to see what my body does in response.

Interestingly I didn't feel hungry when I woke, and my meditation felt clear and focussed and I didn't feel desperate to eat right away...so not sure why I would have slept so little...anyways fun experiment.

Yesterday when I was shopping I was glad to think of picking up a new box of herbal tea. It's a raspberry one. Very yummy and was pleasant to have yesterday evening. Had 2 mugs of that with some honey and then a cracker with my meds and that was it for after supper eating.

Was very pleased with how I did when I was out in temptations way for sugar. Had just 200 calories worth while out, didn't buy any chocolate while shopping and the only sugar I had at home was the honey in my tea. Progress! I made sure to enjoy the treat I had fully. To know that that was all I was going to have and so to appreciate it and eat it slowly.

Other than that, had a nice walk that I added in to my usual route before I picked up the groceries. Foot was still hurting a bit but it does pass as I walk on...

stretch and strength-30 mins
walk-45 mins
calorie deficit -274
Sugar calories 244

I get less sleepy with fewer calories in general (unless I undereat TOO much: then I want to sleep all day) so the early rising could just be the lower carb count but your body could also just need a week or two to adjust. Yay for sugar moderation!

I made sure to enjoy the treat I had fully. To know that that was all I was going to have and so to appreciate it and eat it slowly.
I'm trying to do that with everything now. It really does help. Another good day :)

I get less sleepy with fewer calories in general (unless I undereat TOO much: then I want to sleep all day) so the early rising could just be the lower carb count but your body could also just need a week or two to adjust.
Yes good point. Could just be that I'm going into deficits again which I haven't done in a while.
I'm trying to do that with everything now. It really does help. Another good day :)
Yes I really could do more of that in general. For some reason I'm really prone to just wolf down my food and often while being distracted by other things like the computer or tv...I'm going to try and be more mindful in general and enjoy all my meals.
Sounds like a good day and nice to have picked up a new herbal tea to add to the mix.
Yes so nice to feel like I have a nice little evening treat with the teas :)

Well I think my body may be adjusting. I didn't feel the urge to eat as much yesterday evening and went to bed by 11. I did wake at 4 but then was able to get back to sleep...so hopefully my body understands the new plan now :)

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel wiped out yesterday after only getting about 5 hours of sleep. I felt tired in the morning but was able to get out on my run and did really ok with that. I was able to get a nap in later so that caught me up a bit, but still that would have been only like 6 hours of sleep...generally not enough for me. Last night got about 8 hours sleep so that's great. Feeling well-rested and alert now.

Feeling like my brain might be finished with arguing with me for more sweets now. I seem to have come to terms with the 300 calories of sweets idea and finish eating at 8...well maybe I'm getting over-confident here--it's only been like 3 days lol.

Anyways a good day yesterday.

Run-1 hour
walk-40 min
calorie deficit -250
sugar calories 250

Feeling like my brain might be finished with arguing with me for more sweets now. I seem to have come to terms with the 300 calories of sweets idea and finish eating at 8...
That would be awesome! 3 days is a great start.

It sounds like a good start, Liza. I'm glad your brain has stopped arguing with you about the sweets :)

That would be awesome! 3 days is a great start.
Thanks! Yesterday was a bit of a struggle not eating in the evening but I held to it.
I'm glad your brain has stopped arguing with you about the sweets
Yes so far so good....although now my brain seems to have switched over more to arguing to eat more food in general even if its just more healthy food..guess it wants those extra calories however it can get it...
How fantastic to get a good night's sleep. I generally need about 7 to feel okay. But 8 is always a bonus.
yes I love when I can actually sleep through like that. I was probably just catching up from the day before--last night was another night of too little sleep...probably about 6 hours...was too hungry I think.

It's funny how I seem to be struggling on so little a deficit. Yesterday was only a deficit of 230 calories and yet I felt like I wanted to eat way more. Still hungry now after my breakfast...Oh well will just need to allow some time to adjust. Maybe could use a little more focus on protein--yesterday was at only about 80% of the protein goal that cronometer set for me...

I did think to pick up a mixed greens salad yesterday so that should be helpful. Best way for me to bulk up my meals really easily.
I notice myself wanting to skip buying lots of healthy foods because of all the prices having gone up so much but will have to really just override that and buy it anyways...

Had a nice strength and stretch session yesterday. Noticing how much my body is appreciating the extra stretching with adding a lot more yoga again. Also been adding in some pushups at each session and that is a nice bit of work as well.

Strength and stretch- 40 mins
walk-40 mins
calories deficit -230
sugar calories 230

I notice myself wanting to skip buying lots of healthy foods because of all the prices having gone up so much but will have to really just override that and buy it anyways..
Isn't that interesting? I'd sometimes spend 10€ on a single binge but balk at a 3.50€ pomegranate that's 3 portions of really nice fruit.
Yes so far so good....although now my brain seems to have switched over more to arguing to eat more food in general even if its just more healthy food..guess it wants those extra calories however it can get it...
Might it make sense to have some extra calories from healthyish foods for a week or so just so you're not fighting the desire for sweets and the desire for extra extra calories at the same time?

It's funny how I seem to be struggling on so little a deficit. Yesterday was only a deficit of 230 calories and yet I felt like I wanted to eat way more. Still hungry now after my breakfast...Oh well will just need to allow some time to adjust. Maybe could use a little more focus on protein--yesterday was at only about 80% of the protein goal that cronometer set for me...
Concentrating on adding more protein to my diet makes such a difference in my hunger. I think it really is the key for me. You're doing well with not eating in the evening, Liza :)

Isn't that interesting? I'd sometimes spend 10€ on a single binge but balk at a 3.50€ pomegranate that's 3 portions of really nice fruit.
I know before it was a struggle enough for me as it has always seemed cheaper to get a lot of junky calories worth than healthy calories...now it's just worse...but I know healthy eating is crucial for me so I can't skimp on this. I am thinking about ways that I can possibly expand my garden come spring that I could grow more too...last year wasn't a great year for my garden though and I know I was pretty disappointed in how little I was able to grow...
Might it make sense to have some extra calories from healthyish foods for a week or so just so you're not fighting the desire for sweets and the desire for extra extra calories at the same time?
I'm not sure...we'll see how this goes. If I continue unable to sleep properly then I might have to do that. I just think it would be too disappointing for me if I cut way back on sugar and still didn't achieve deficits. I think it would have me going back to eating more sweets again. Plus I think my body being hungry has made the sugar cravings easier...now I just want more healthy food.

Concentrating on adding more protein to my diet makes such a difference in my hunger. I think it really is the key for me. You're doing well with not eating in the evening, Liza :)
Thanks Cate. I'm trying! I did focus on protein yesterday and got to 109% of what cronometer was suggesting and I think I did better hunger/craving-wise...I did sleep better too, but that might have just been me being tired from my previous nights lack of sleep again... I also made sure to add lots of greens to my meals yesterday as well.

Well yesterday was to be a run day, but road conditions were bad so I walked instead. It was a beautiful walk and my energy really picked up while out...and it was good to be out the house so I couldn't be tempted to just eat all morning. When I came back I had a protein drink and then made a big spaghetti lunch with tofu along with a big salad on the side and filled up on that. Felt very satisfying.

The day was quiet and lovely and I didn't eat many sweets, so a good day all round.

walk-2hours
calorie deficit -273
sugar calories 90

Plus I think my body being hungry has made the sugar cravings easier...now I just want more healthy food.
Interesting! Shows how different we all are.

Back