Liza

I miss being able to practice to build up to chinups as it was motivating to have a goal in mind and even the dead hangs seemed to be a good workout in itself...
Now there's something I wasn't expecting to hear :D I like it though.

Now there's something I wasn't expecting to hear :D I like it though.
haha yeah i know i did a lot of moaning about it, but i can feel how much my arms were appreciating the work!

Today was a bit of a disappointing weigh in--weight and fat percentage both up...
143 pounds and 27%....
So hopefully I can use that as a motivator to get back on track to trying to get actual deficits in, and keep up with arm strengthening...maybe buy that pull up tower thingy...everyone I've talked to about it thinks I should go for it, including people who have one...so maybe...
Didn't track calories yesterday...pretty sure i would have been over and pretty sure i had too many sweets too...and not very much movement...so yes, back to it today. Planning a longer run for today.
Although yesterday may have not been the best for my weight goals, it was a lovely day otherwise, so that's something. Always nice when my mood is up :)

Balancing mood-boosting activities with weight-losing activities isn't always easy but in the long run most of us (at least us here on the forum) eat better when we're happy than when we aren't.

Glad that you didn't let the scales dictate your mood - very important!

I think you should get the pull-up tower thingy. You've mentioned it a lot so you must want it.

Balancing mood-boosting activities with weight-losing activities isn't always easy but in the long run most of us (at least us here on the forum) eat better when we're happy than when we aren't.
Yes they seem to feed each other. Eating well and exercise generally makes me feel better and feeling better makes me want to eat well and exercise...but yeah eating yummy treats is hard to resist when it gives me an immediate boost when I'm feeling stressed.

Glad that you didn't let the scales dictate your mood - very important!
yeah for sure. It rarely does...an increase can be disappointing, but i am at a weight that I generally feel ok about so if I can just not let it get out of hand and let the weigh-ins be a reminder of the impact of choices, that's good.
I think you should get the pull-up tower thingy. You've mentioned it a lot so you must want it.
That's true...I think there's no question that I want it now...I just don't want it to be something that I buy and use for a month and then it just sits there...It did make me laugh you saying i am mentioning it a lot. lol. what a boring diary haha. I will stop mentioning it and just make a decision...

Yesterday was lovely. Long run day. Was pouring rain and cold and was one of those days that i felt very unsure about it setting out and the first mile was TOUGH! but I know my body enough now to know that after that first mile, it can get a lot easier and much more fun and it did. I came back completely drenched and cold, but was nice to get into the hot shower and make a lovely meal of fried potato/veggies and blackbeans.
The rest of the day was lovely and restful. Connected with friends, got my daily goals accomplished, and just felt generally good.

Run-90 min
walk 15 20 min
calories-deficit-240
sugar calories-132

Petition for pics once your pull-up setup arrives!
A warm shower and hot meal after cold outside time are just wonderful, aren't they?

It did make me laugh you saying i am mentioning it a lot. lol. what a boring diary haha.
Not a boring diary at all! :D Your run in the rain and hot shower after sounds lovely. I totally understand about the first mile or so being tough until you get into the rhythm of it.

A warm shower and hot meal after cold outside time are just wonderful, aren't they?
Yeah its such a great feeling being out in the elements and then coming into such coziness!
I totally understand about the first mile or so being tough until you get into the rhythm of it.
Exactly, as the muscles warm up and then the brain quiets down and stops its whining :) ...my first mile has a bunch of uphills too so as that levels out after mile 1, it's like my body just feels grateful for the first set of hills to be finished with!
Your diary is definitely not boring :)
:) oh good! thanks cate :)

My life probably could be considered a little bit boring on a few levels, but I don't feel bored by it. I think maybe grateful that it could be considered a little boring--like not too much craziness going on? Many times in my life where my life was maybe a little too interesting! haha Good to have a nice steady routine now and not too many surprises and unpredictabilities!

Yesterday was good. Did my strengthening (just using the resistance bands) along with some extra stretching. Food-wise went a little over on the treats again, but also ate some good healthy meals as well.
Got my daily goals done despite some extra resistance there. Always nice when I can tick them off as complete on my little chart! Maybe could borrow the idea of llama's frivolities fund to go along with that chart...or even exercise equipment fund...for fun gear around my running and strengthening stuff...giving me that feeling like I earned that stuff somehow...Actually that fund would be good for me to implement esp for sugar goals/ deficit goals as those are the hardest for me right now.

strength-15 min
walk-40 min
calories deficit -114
sugar-315

My life probably could be considered a little bit boring on a few levels, but I don't feel bored by it. I think maybe grateful that it could be considered a little boring--like not too much craziness going on?
Different people need different levels of stimulation for optimal functioning and happiness. There's a reason why "may you live in interesting times" was a curse.
Always nice when I can tick them off as complete on my little chart! Maybe could borrow the idea of llama's frivolities fund to go along with that chart...or even exercise equipment fund...for fun gear around my running and strengthening stuff...giving me that feeling like I earned that stuff somehow...Actually that fund would be good for me to implement esp for sugar goals/ deficit goals as those are the hardest for me right now.
Yay, the madness is spreading! :hurray:

Different people need different levels of stimulation for optimal functioning and happiness.
Yeah for sure. i've always enjoyed quiet/low-stimulation right from when I was a kid.
I have been wondering how I could incorporate a frivolities fund into my life too :D
oh fun!
I don't think I earned any points yesterday if I'm going off deficits or sweets...haha

I did have a pretty good day overall though. Went running. It was a shorter run, but my muscles still felt tired. And then later on my heel was really hurting. So I googled that and I figure it's plantar fasciitis :( So I will take a break from longer walks and running until that's properly healed. And do the exercises recommended...
I think it might have been that I did too much running after taking a break...or it might be that I was wearing some bad shoes while doing long walks last week ( wearing an old pair that I didn't care about getting muddy while walking through some very muddy trails.) Or maybe a combo of that...My feet are flat and so can be esp prone to that apparently...anyways live and learn.
I will probably buy a new pair of shoes so I can delegate my present runners as good for muddy walks while the others I keep cleaner for day to day wear. I don't want to take my feet for granted. They've done amazingly these past years with all the extra miles I've been putting on them!

Food-wise I did ok. Went heavy on protein which I seemed to be craving...and too heavy on sweets again. So I didn't get my deficit, but at least I feel like I ate lots of healthy stuff.

run 45 min
walk 1 hour
calories-maintenance
sweets-445 calories

Honoring your feet's needs it always a good idea. People often don't know how important they are until issues that could've been solved become irreversible.

We definitely need to look after our feet well. Mine are not good after working behind a bar for 18 years. I hope a rest helps, Liza.

People often don't know how important they are until issues that could've been solved become irreversible.
Yes I'm often surprised at what people will choose to push their body through. I'm really into the idea of trying to make exercise good for my body overall and am not into the idea of just making things worse for it in the longterm in order to fit in a run or whatever...
Mine are not good after working behind a bar for 18 years.
:( Yes those jobs of standing on one's feet for long hours like that seem pretty brutal.

Well my feet already do feel a lot better. Did a few rounds of the suggested exercises yesterday, kept the walking at a minimum and I have hardly any pain...so am maybe going to try for a walk-run this morning...it may just turn into a walk...we'll see...no pushing, just nice and gentle and keeping attention on keeping my calf muscles stretched, and doing those exercises for the plantar fasciitis...

Another day of too much sugar and no deficit...still lacking motivation to limit myself even as I watch the weight go up...so not sure what to do there...do I give up on trying to find that motivation and just try and stick to more basics--get healthy meal in, and move body and just leave it at that? Or do I try and find some reason why I would want to lose this extra weight and limit the treats?

I did do my strengthening yesterday so that's good that hopefully I'm back to including that again at least.

walk-40 min
strength-20 min
calories-surplus +140
sugar calories 429

do I give up on trying to find that motivation and just try and stick to more basics--get healthy meal in, and move body and just leave it at that? Or do I try and find some reason why I would want to lose this extra weight and limit the treats?
That's a question only you can answer, of course, but it's good that you're aware it IS a choice and not some outside force making you do things.

do I give up on trying to find that motivation and just try and stick to more basics--get healthy meal in, and move body and just leave it at that? Or do I try and find some reason why I would want to lose this extra weight and limit the treats?
Are you actually happy with how you look & feel, Liza? It's hard to keep motivated to 'diet' when maybe you don't need to lose weight, or maybe only a few kilos.

That's a question only you can answer, of course, but it's good that you're aware it IS a choice and not some outside force making you do things.
Yes definitely an inward choice...I can actually be very aware as I'm choosing to eat more sweets that I'm actively choosing to not lose the extra weight....so yes, the awareness is definitely there.
Are you actually happy with how you look & feel, Liza? It's hard to keep motivated to 'diet' when maybe you don't need to lose weight, or maybe only a few kilos.
I think I would generally say I'm happy with how I look and feel. I mean if there was a magic wand that would flatten my gut, I would go for that...and if I could suddenly turn into someone who wakes in the morning all thin and strong and fit, do my yoga, go on a run. enjoy the healthy foods...I feel like i would choose that, but then even writing that I wonder would I really?
I must admit I kind of like me a bit lumpy and not the best runner, but getting out there anyhow, and I like me caving to eat the sweets for pleasure and enjoying them...
Definitely lots to consider, because as I am now, I would definitely have to dig a bit deeper if I actually want to go further with fitness goals.
I do know I don't want to get increasingly heavier, that I want to continue to enjoy healthy foods and movement. So ok maybe that's where things are at for now.

Yesterday I did go running. I did a straight running (rather than walk-run) for 30 min. Slower than my schedule said to do so that I wouldn't put unnecessary strain on my heel. It went well and had only minimal pain afterwards. Made sure to do my exercises and stretches throughout the day to take care of that heel as well.
I added in a walk after the run as well. Am so happy that so far the pain is staying gone. I would be lost without the walking and running. Today I meet with a friend for a walk as well. We'll keep it easy again.

Ate well yesterday. Made a nice potato/veggie/chickpea curry soup when I got home. Yummy.

Went light on the sweets--now that was a little interesting. I actually bought a chocolate bar the other day and brought it home, something i haven't been doing lately because i just eat too much when I have sweets here...anyways I wasn't out anywhere yesterday where I could have sweets while I was out so decided to have some of that chocolate and managed to keep it to just 4 squares. So it made me wonder why that felt so easy to do, but then when I go out, i find it really hard to stop eating the sweets. I feel like it's because I know that I only have the chance to eat them when I go out and so I try to fill up on them, knowing that when I go home there are normally none there. So its that scarcity mentality thing I think...

So maybe I need to change my relationship to sugar...

anyways lots to think about...

run-30min
walk 45 min
calories maintenance
sugar calories 211

I do know I don't want to get increasingly heavier, that I want to continue to enjoy healthy foods and movement. So ok maybe that's where things are at for now.
Knowing that while being happy with where you are right now is a great start. As is staying vigilant about how you relate to food and sweets. Sounds to me like you're doing really well.

Also: yay for very little heel pain after running! Catching it early is so helpful.

I think I would generally say I'm happy with how I look and feel.
That is so lovely to read.
I think it's good to take stock every now & then.
I'm glad you had a nice relatively pain-free run & have plans for another with a friend. You seem to have a good balance at the moment :)

Back