Liza

That sounds wonderful!
That really does sound lovely :)
Yep it's so fun and great!
I have always envied your running. Maybe when my knees heal I will give it a try, but I haven't run in over 40 years. I asked my doctor about it and he said something to the effect that "those days are behind you". No matter I do like walking and hiking and should be able to do those much better.
Well don't go ruining those nice new knees of yours! I am constantly grateful of my ability to run. For years I couldn't maintain it without my knees and ankles hurting too much so I know what a gift this is. Eventually I will probably have to give it up too but for now I can enjoy it!

I'm logging in here a little later than usual as I had a late start to my day. Today was official weigh in and it's remained at 141 with fat at 27% I have come to terms with the fact that I am currently at maintenance and if i want to get back to losing I will have to change what I'm doing. Not ready to yet though.

Had a good-ish run this morning. 11 miles. I could feel my ankles and knees whimpering at points though...but as long as they recover by tomorrow I'm fine with that. I had a final big hill at about the 10 mile mark and then some minor incline. But after the 11 miles it should be a flat 2 miles (I think) so that would be helpful.
Maintained an ok pace for me. I was going to do 12 miles next week and then 13 miles after that, but I think i might try for the 13 next week as I have other things going on after that and not sure about fitting in the longer runs for a couple of weeks and that might throw things off too much... I'll play it a bit by ear. See how my ankles and knees recover and go from there.

If this one was on the edge of what's still ok for your ankles and knees maybe repeating it a couple of times until they get used to it would be better. But I trust you to listen to your body and adjust accordingly.

I'm sure you will adjust if you need to as we all want your knees & ankles to stay good. You seem very sensible about it all. You also seem philosophical about being in maintenance, which I think is admirable. Your weight seems healthy to me. I wish I was still at that weight. I would be happy to fight to stay there for the rest of my life & I would be more than happy to be back in that place. You have a good balance I think, Liza xo

If this one was on the edge of what's still ok for your ankles and knees maybe repeating it a couple of times until they get used to it would be better. But I trust you to listen to your body and adjust accordingly.
yeah I'm going to have to see how it goes this week...For the 3 runs leading up to the 13 mile one, the runs are shorter than I did last week, so that might help. I think I will just follow that schedule and really have it firmly in mind that if it will be too much for me then I WON"T do it--not like last time where I pushed through and made myself sick and was injured. That is one thing about me is I can get a little stuck once I have something in mind and push through even when it's not healthy to do so. So I will try to leave that mindset behind.
This just might be my last chance to try for the 13 miles in good weather, so would like to give it a go if I can. I'm having it in mind to fill that goal of completing the 13 miles without being sick or injured and then to start working on a different sort of run and strength schedule that maybe will focus more on speed and intensity and strength. And then I could try for 13 miles again next spring when the weather would be back to nice.
You also seem philosophical about being in maintenance, which I think is admirable. Your weight seems healthy to me. I wish I was still at that weight. I would be happy to fight to stay there for the rest of my life & I would be more than happy to be back in that place. You have a good balance I think, Liza xo
Thanks Cate! Yeah one thing I have in mind is a few years ago when I was at 140, that weight also meant very different things. I was very out of shape and eating lots of junk and no way I could run at all. So this time at 141, it feels very different. I like the way I feel in my body, I think it also looks ok...but yeah most importantly is just feeling like it's just strong and healthy. That's always been the most important to me.

I'm starting to wonder at the value of me writing out my calorie deficits or pluses since I must be miscalculating stuff--either overestimating what my exercise is doing or underestimating my food amounts. But recording it does help me stay on track even if it's inaccurate.
So yesterday was a nice deficit of supposedly -663
Couldn't get the amount of protein I needed but tried to at least and will stay focused on that today as well. That protein will help my body recover properly from that run.

I'm having it in mind to fill that goal of completing the 13 miles without being sick or injured and then to start working on a different sort of run and strength schedule that maybe will focus more on speed and intensity and strength. And then I could try for 13 miles again next spring when the weather would be back to nice.
That sounds nice! And of course you can still so all that if you fall two miles short this one time 🤷‍♀️
Yeah one thing I have in mind is a few years ago when I was at 140, that weight also meant very different things. I was very out of shape and eating lots of junk and no way I could run at all. So this time at 141, it feels very different.
I like that. Very realistic and I bet you look a lot different this time around.
I'm starting to wonder at the value of me writing out my calorie deficits or pluses since I must be miscalculating stuff--either overestimating what my exercise is doing or underestimating my food amounts.
Well, it gives you a reference. If your calculator says you should consistently lose half a pound a week and you're consistently maintaining instead you know the calculator is off by about 250 kcal a day.

And of course you can still so all that if you fall two miles short this one time
So true. I am going to keep that in mind. Also going to keep in mind that I can walk portions if needed. For the 11 miles the other day I walked part of a hill which helped me complete that 11 miles. I need to be more open to doing things 'good enough' rather than how I think they 'should' be done!
If your calculator says you should consistently lose half a pound a week and you're consistently maintaining instead you know the calculator is off by about 250 kcal a day.
That's true. Cronometer is obviously going to be inaccurate estimating my calories burned on a run or walk so if I can see that gap, I can start to fill that. I should also calculate the weeks average deficit--like last week it only came to an average of -188/per day...which is still probably wrong, but still not at the -250 goal that I am aiming for even with the miscalculations in mind.
I love this. Feeling strong & healthy is my goal.
Absolutely! Weight is not a great indicator of health so all those things need to be taken into consideration.

I was happy to get out on a really nice walk yesterday. Maybe inspired by LLama's hike I made sure to make it onto some forest-y trails. I couldn't spend a lot of time out there but any time amongst trees is always lovely.
Also was glad that my ankle seemed to fully recover, but I admit I heard my knee yelp a couple of times...
So I will see how everything feels during and after my short run planned for this morning...

Also got another really great stretch and strength session in. I am really loving the stretchy parts of those sessions. They feel soooooo good!!

calorie deficit -232

That walk sounds lovely, Liza & had me feeling like heading to our bush block. Unfortunately, the leeches seem to be out in their droves here at the moment. R's GF had 5 on her the other day & Arch had one latch onto him too, so I am feeling a bit averse to heading into the ferns. I just got side-tracked looking for safe ways to deter them & almost forgot to come back here. I really hate leeches *shudder*
My knees have been yelping a lot lately. I hope yours settle down. Take good care of them xo

For the 11 miles the other day I walked part of a hill which helped me complete that 11 miles. I need to be more open to doing things 'good enough' rather than how I think they 'should' be done!
Hear hear! I wish we could learn all these things properly in our teens rather than muddling along for decades.

Thanks @Emilyrose ,@Cate and @Llama :grouphug:

Unfortunately, the leeches seem to be out in their droves here at the moment. R's GF had 5 on her the other day & Arch had one latch onto him too, so I am feeling a bit averse to heading into the ferns. I
oh dear! I'm glad we don't have leeches...we do have ticks to look out for in the spring...now it is more bears to be on the lookout for but the trails I walk are generally well used by humans so less likely to run into one...I do try and make a bit of noise as I walk/run so that I don't surprise any though.
Your walk sounded lovely Liza. 27% body fat is excellent! I can only dream.
Thanks Emily! The walk was nice--i often do the same woodsy area but there is always something new to find there and connecting with trees in their favorite environments is one of my favorite things to do :) I also like to connect with the trees living in cities though and have a few favorites that I say hello to on my daily walks :)

Hear hear! I wish we could learn all these things properly in our teens rather than muddling along for decades.

Yeah I think the adults in my life were always trying to send me that message to ease up on myself, but I couldn't seem to hear it. I know even as a young kid I had the same issues--i have a few reports from primary school that point to exactly this same issue.
I would do much better in life if I could be more relaxed about everything.

Glad to say my knees and ankles did well yesterday. Went super slow and easy on my run and they didn't whimper. Today and tomorrow are 2 more short runs before saturdays long run.

overate on sweets again yesterday...i was feeling fed up and a little crabby about some minor things and maybe used that as an excuse to sugar up...

other than the extra sweets ate ok though

calorie deficit -137

Great to hear your knees and ankles are coping well! Kudos to you for listening to your body and taking it easy. I have a couple of favorite trees I'll make a detour for if I'm near. Trees are just wonderful.

oh dear! I'm glad we don't have leeches...we do have ticks to look out for in the spring...now it is more bears to be on the lookout for but the trails I walk are generally well used by humans so less likely to run into one...I do try and make a bit of noise as I walk/run so that I don't surprise any though.
I just read that out to G. I can't imagine having to be careful of bears! :eek: We did encounter an echidna & a rabbit yesterday :)

A friend’s boyfriend described life to me once as ‘a bit of a laugh’, which was such a refreshing way of looking at it. I take it, and myself, far too seriously. Here’s hoping we can both lighten up. :)

Great to hear your knees and ankles are coping well! Kudos to you for listening to your body and taking it easy. I have a couple of favorite trees I'll make a detour for if I'm near. Trees are just wonderful.
Thanks! yes had another good short run both yesterday and this morning. Both went well. So here's hoping I'm ready for the long one on saturday...If not I will try for maybe an hour's run and then see if i can fit an attempt for a long one next week instead.
I just read that out to G. I can't imagine having to be careful of bears! :eek: We did encounter an echidna & a rabbit yesterday :)
haha i would way rather be keeping my eye out for rabbits! :) Our bears are generally very peaceful and non-aggressive though so I do like having them around and it always feels special when you do see one.
A friend’s boyfriend described life to me once as ‘a bit of a laugh’, which was such a refreshing way of looking at it. I take it, and myself, far too seriously. Here’s hoping we can both lighten up. :)
Totally--that would be so nice to see life as a bit of a laugh most of the time. I can definitely laugh at myself and life at times but could definitely do more of that.

Yesterday was an anxious day all round, but moved along with the day with all the anxious thoughts playing its broken record thoughts of doom and gloom in the background...
Ate sort of ok considering my stomach was being picky about what to put in with the anxiety going. I did overeat on sweets again.
Lost track of calories as it's hard for me to care about calorie counting when I'm feeling bad mentally, but I imagine it would have been at about maintenance.

Bears do seem very special & I love watching documentaries about them. Maybe leeches are preferable, but I have trouble seeing their good points.
I hope that anxiety lifts, Liza. It really does make everything so much harder. I have been trying to work through mine too & it has resulted in a lot of gardening. Well done on getting in some runs. I have been doing a little Qui gong as well, which helps me just before bed time.

Hey, Liza, sorry to hear you are not feeling as well as you could.
Ate sort of ok considering my stomach was being picky about what to put in with the anxiety going. I did overeat on sweets again.
Lost track of calories as it's hard for me to care about calorie counting when I'm feeling bad mentally, but I imagine it would have been at about maintenance.
Don't feel bad about it, that does no good. And if you are close to maintenance that's good. You will do better when you feel better.

Our bears are generally very peaceful and non-aggressive though so I do like having them around and it always feels special when you do see one.
If they are black bears, which they probably are, you're right. Though not totally harmless attacks on humans are very rare. Brown bears, grizzlies, are another story but in the US (outside of Alaska) there are very few. When I lived in Florida we had lots of bears, other than dumping our garbage bins and destroying bird feeders we had no problems. This video was made just a few hundred yards from our house, I knew the bear and most of the folks in the picture. The story isn't 100% accurate, but close.

Last edited:
Eating around maintenance when you're feeling crummy and looking for comfort is a victory in my book. Hope tomorrow's easier though.
Thanks. Yesterday was easier thankfully.
Hope the anxiety dissipates. ‘This too shall pass’ is my mantra when I’m having a bad day. Well done on the run.
Thanks...yes it all passes eventually I guess...
I have been trying to work through mine too & it has resulted in a lot of gardening. Well done on getting in some runs. I have been doing a little Qui gong as well, which helps me just before bed time.
Gardening is always so good for the soul. Running seems to help too for sure. This morning will be my strength and stretch time where I include my yoga and qi gong...
Don't feel bad about it, that does no good. And if you are close to maintenance that's good. You will do better when you feel better.
That's one thing--I don't ever really feel bad about comfort eating--I can beat myself up about a lot of things but when it comes to coping with anxiety I'm totally ok with trying to find some comfort in some sweets...
It they are black bears, which they probably are, you're right. Though not totally harmless attacks on humans are very rare.
Yes only black bears where I am so yes, they aren't aggressive--you just don't want to get between them and their young or them and their food...or surprise them...

OK have to get back to calorie counting today--i didn't yesterday again and probably overate...made the mistake of buying a chocolate bar so in addition to having sweets while out, I ended up eating that chocolate in the evening too...

I did get some good healthy meals in too though and that short run (about 30 min) and a bunch of walking--maybe about 90 mins...so not a bad day. Had a nice visit with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while too.
Still feeling a little raw and tender anxiety-wise but I think the worst of that bout has passed. Ready for a good day!

Back