Liza

the other day I was running and a woman about my age passed me and ran on way faster than me and I could feel that urge to pick up my pace, but then I smartly realized that I have no idea what her running experience is and how much more advanced she is, nor what her training plan is...and I just stuck with my pace and what felt right for me.
Go you! Big oof on the anxiety though. Good thing the scales can't weigh anxiety...

Boo to anxiety. Hope it disappears quickly, Liza xo

Go you! Big oof on the anxiety though. Good thing the scales can't weigh anxiety...
Well sometimes I kind of wish that anxiety could be more concretely measured and dealt with...Like I wish there was a nice little cronometer app that would measure my anxiety calories and make some sense of why things strike the way they do...CBT and now ACT are helpful in making some sort of progress I think but it still always seems so random and that is so frustrating and disheartening for me.

Boo to anxiety. Hope it disappears quickly, Liza xo
Thanks Cate. The anxiety did fade for sure, but its shadow remains and I feel it waiting to pounce again...

But i won't focus on that.

I headed out for my 10 mile run yesterday with the idea that maybe I wouldn't make it that far given the night I had had and how I was feeling pretty worn out from it all, not to mention the crappy eating the day before. BUT the run went well. Easy. Slower than last time but that's fine. I added in part of the hill at the 10 mile mark too to slowly add that in. I was glad to see I easily had the energy to add that extra portion. The only thing was walking home I noticed my knees hurting on the downhill. They quickly recovered afterwards but it's nice to avoid knee issues...

I might switch running schedules in the next week. I found one that is made for hilly half marathon training so that seems a good idea. The one I'm working with now would have me trying for 13.1 miles in a couple of weeks and I don't feel ready for that. No rush...so yes, will look at different adjustments I can make to change the schedules.

I was also feeling a little discouraged about the new protein powder I bought and how awful it was tasting to the point that it's been a struggle getting it down. It's a big healthy mix of protein, and lots of greens stuff and I think it's more the greens that were proving to be difficult...anyhow I realized that I was probably trying to get too much down at once and this morning just added a portion of a scoop into some water and it tasted great. So I will just spread the one scoop over the course of a day.

Today will be stretch and strength. I got those resistance bands so I will try adding in some exercises with those.

calorie deficit yesterday -462

It's nice to run alone too so I don't feel that pressure to try and keep up with others...the other day I was running and a woman about my age passed me and ran on way faster than me and I could feel that urge to pick up my pace, but then I smartly realized that I have no idea what her running experience is and how much more advanced she is, nor what her training plan is...and I just stuck with my pace and what felt right for me.
"That person who passed me is DEFINITELY running a shorter distance and that's why they're running a faster pace than I am." Write it down. Memorize it. :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:
I headed out for my 10 mile run yesterday with the idea that maybe I wouldn't make it that far given the night I had had and how I was feeling pretty worn out from it all, not to mention the crappy eating the day before. BUT the run went well. Easy. Slower than last time but that's fine. I added in part of the hill at the 10 mile mark too to slowly add that in. I was glad to see I easily had the energy to add that extra portion. The only thing was walking home I noticed my knees hurting on the downhill. They quickly recovered afterwards but it's nice to avoid knee issues...
Man, I'm sure that felt great to have that energy!
I might switch running schedules in the next week. I found one that is made for hilly half marathon training so that seems a good idea. The one I'm working with now would have me trying for 13.1 miles in a couple of weeks and I don't feel ready for that. No rush...so yes, will look at different adjustments I can make to change the schedules.
I'd be curious to see the one for hilly half marathon training. In case it isn't clear yet, I live in an insanely hilly area.

with...Like I wish there was a nice little cronometer app that would measure my anxiety calories and make some sense of why things strike the way they do...
I see that. Hard facts would be so much easier to analyze and work with.
I might switch running schedules in the next week. I found one that is made for hilly half marathon training so that seems a good idea.
That sounds interesting. Very curious to hear about the differences.
anyhow I realized that I was probably trying to get too much down at once and this morning just added a portion of a scoop into some water and it tasted great. So I will just spread the one scoop over the course of a day.
Awesome!

Well done, Liza on what sounds like an excellent run. I like the way you are planning this. I'm glad you found a solution with the protein powder. I hate waste & am loathe to buy another one that I may not like.

"That person who passed me is DEFINITELY running a shorter distance and that's why they're running a faster pace than I am." Write it down. Memorize it. :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:
lol! love that!
I'd be curious to see the one for hilly half marathon training. In case it isn't clear yet, I live in an insanely hilly area.
If you google Runners World Hilly half marathon training plan you should see it. They have a lot of different plans for different levels and different goals. Honestly I think you'd be beyond most of them but you could see if any strike you...

I'm not sure what to do myself as I've been following the plan for beginners, but then they have you at your longest run at 10 miles before you try for the 13.1. I want to build up more gradually and try for 11 then 12 then 13 miles...So that's why I was looking at different schedules, but the others say they are aimed at the intermediate or advanced runner...the hilly one is aimed at intermediate runners who are logging at least 25 miles per week...that's not me...so anyways may just look at seeing how i can tweak the schedules to suit me at my level...

Very curious to hear about the differences.
Looking at the suggested schedule it would mean running more days for shorter runs and just one long run per week. It would also mean purposefully finding hills to train on to do repeated run climbs...intensity stuff...

I'm thinking for myself what I might do is do more shorter runs, and then just gradually add more to my long run...
like maybe a week would look like 3miles, 6 miles, 2 miles, 11 miles ...and then just keep adding to the longer one and keeping the shorter ones where they're at. I dunno...I really like following set schedules but just hard to find one that would suit where I'm at right now...

I'm glad you found a solution with the protein powder. I hate waste & am loathe to buy another one that I may not like.
Such a relief to find a way to drink it! I really didn't want to have to try and drown it in sweeteners, fruit juices or whatever...it's nice to just add to water and drink. It worked well to just spread it out through the day yesterday and I imagine my body might be able to more easily integrate all its goodness that way too.

Yesterday went well. Anxiety seemed so much better which was a relief. Went on a really nice little walk in the morning and was happy to find a new little green space with a lovely little creek.
Starting to make some plans too to plant some things in my garden that will improve the soil for next year. One part of the garden did so beautifully but another section needs some love. So will plant some winter field peas--i think i still have some around...

Had a nice stretch and strength session too.

My calories were at about maintenance.

I'm thinking for myself what I might do is do more shorter runs, and then just gradually add more to my long run...
like maybe a week would look like 3miles, 6 miles, 2 miles, 11 miles ...and then just keep adding to the longer one and keeping the shorter ones where they're at.
Sounds sensible to me. Also: I wouldn't call you a beginner runner anymore!
Went on a really nice little walk in the morning and was happy to find a new little green space with a lovely little creek
How lovely to still be finding little gems like that in your area.
Yay for less anxiety!

Also: I wouldn't call you a beginner runner anymore!
lol! yeah how long are we beginners for...but really i should clarify it is a "beginner half marathon training schedule" which is for people who can already run 6 miles before they start the schedule...so not a schedule to just start as a beginner runner! For that I started at the walk to run schedule...this schedule is just for people trying to freshly build up purely the distance of a half marathon and not looking at how fast or anything like that.
How lovely to still be finding little gems like that in your area.
Totally! Such a lovely surprise!

i should clarify it is a "beginner half marathon training schedule" which is for people who can already run 6 miles before they start the schedule...so not a schedule to just start as a beginner runner!
Ok, that makes total sense. I rather think I'll be a beginner for the rest of my life BUT maybe that'll change if I manage to stick to my plan for once in my life.

Yesterday went well. Anxiety seemed so much better which was a relief. Went on a really nice little walk in the morning and was happy to find a new little green space with a lovely little creek.
Gorgeous. That's a lovely find!

Thanks @Cate and @Llama !
I skipped logging in yesterday as my morning was unnaturally busy which is when I usually check in.
It was a good day. I skipped my usual strength and stretch session to fit in a nice walk with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. We had a really nice walk through a nice foresty area.

My food wasn't great as I was out of my usual rhythm so while I didn't eat a lot of junk, I also didn't get in a lot of veggies either. (I guess i still find prepping veggies the more challenging part of trying to eat well--it goes ok when I stick to my usual schedule, but if it gets thrown off, I tend to revert back to just things like rice and beans and forget the veggies. That's when having pre-made salads in the fridge go well, but i don't have any currently--maybe next shopping trip.)

Last 2 days the calorie deficit was around -200.

(I guess i still find prepping veggies the more challenging part of trying to eat well--it goes ok when I stick to my usual schedule, but if it gets thrown off, I tend to revert back to just things like rice and beans and forget the veggies
Same. I'm alright in the cold season and alright in the warm season but switching between the two throws me off for a while until I get a rhythm again.

Same. I'm alright in the cold season and alright in the warm season but switching between the two throws me off for a while until I get a rhythm again.
Yeah I'm such a routine/schedule person. That can work to my benefit in that once I set good habits it can feel very easy to keep them, but when the routine/schedule gets thrown off, I can't seem to adjust that well.
Sounds lovely xo
It was lovely Cate :) It's nice to be able to throw the routine aside once in a while especially to connect with a friend.

Yesterday went well. Got a run in, ate overall pretty good, mood and energy has been remaining at an up.
Just really enjoying this lovely fall weather. Cooler days but still enough sun. Nice to get out the sweaters and feel cozy :)
Need to get out shopping in the next few days. Some of the staples are disappearing from my cupboards...

Yesterday's calorie deficit -281

Yay for good mood and energy levels! This time of year is so nice: the golden light, perfect temperatures, and I can even enjoy the sun without burning right away!

I think it's lovely being able to enjoy the changes in the seasons. I wouldn't like to live somewhere that is either hot all year or cold. I really appreciate nature more in spring, even when the birds wake me up early & the flowers make me snuffle & sneeze. I love Spring. Our summers are always bearable & that helps.

Yay for good mood and energy levels! This time of year is so nice: the golden light, perfect temperatures, and I can even enjoy the sun without burning right away!
Yeah exactly--so much enjoyment of sitting in the sun after a summer of keeping myself protected from it. Now it just feels gentle and warm and friendly.
I wouldn't like to live somewhere that is either hot all year or cold.
Me neither. I had a friend move to a place where the gardening sounded so different with the lack of seasonal changes...It definitely sounded like it had some benefits for growing food, but I like having the seasonal changes.

I had such a lovely stretch and strength session yesterday. I felt my body's gratitude for all that wonderful stretching and breathing. It is really nice to incorporate yoga and qi gong again. I also used the resistance bands for the strengthening part. I really like that. So nice to easily incorporate some strengthening without having to have bulky weights around the place. And easier to do than to just rely on body-weight exercises as well. Looking forward to playing more with those.

Yesterday could very well have been my last ukulele group sing-along thing for the season. :( I think it's moving indoors after this and I don't think I'll be risking covid for that. It's been so nice having that group though. So many really good connections and such good laughs...

Picked up a bunch of groceries yesterday too and it feels nice to be re-stocked up!

I ate moderately well, but didn't get much of a deficit just -62

That sounds like another lovely day, Liza. That's a shame about the uke singing group now heading indoors. That really sounds like fun.

Back