Flyer's diary

It was an amazing game! I can't imagine seeing a better one.

a great game for sure... the place i went to watch (i haven't had cable in over 10 years now) was just crowded enough at 7AM. my nephew was probably sad (his wife is French), but the concensus of the bar was wanting to see Messi get his World Cup victory.

France Argentina 12.17.22.jpg

Happy Friday, 13th...!

not only was my first solo flight on a Friday 13th... the plane i usually flew, N212AF was out of service that day so i used a similar Cessna ... N213AF. needless to say, no bad luck that day... :)

hunger is so weird... this morning i had a severe hunger attack... that awfully empty pit of your stomach feeling. it's hours later and i'm not at all hungry. it's almost 10am... breakfast is usually at 2. i hope i remember to eat.

hunger attack much more gentle this morning, but i have never seemed to get rid of it... when i discuss intermittent fasting with anyone, i always qualify a major need for self control.

i recently found a new challenge, though. i never drink beer at home, but attending some parties this recent past holiday season, i''ve developed a taste for red wine. ... and i now drink that at home. nothing like binge drinking, but it will certainly add some empty calories occasionally. half a bottle is a nice afternoon buzz... now if i could only figure out a way to avoid drinking the other half.

a good piece of information to commit to memory... next time someone gives you a story about someone dying because they were vaccinated from COViD, tell them that toasters kill 700 people every year. "i hope you don't have one of those killer appliances in your kitchen, ...do you?" ... then just laugh in their face.

in the U.S. 8000 people die EVERY DAY. given enough time, you can find someone who died from just about anything you can imagine... and a lot of things you can't.

guess i'm part of the problem, but i won't apologize... Readers.com reading glasses are hands down the best i've ever bought. frankly Chinese products are poor quality only if the management is poor or doesn't care. i still seem to lose them occasionally, but i have never had a frame crack, a temple break off or any other problem that usually trashes a drug store pair in a month or two. search for a coupon and you can always get 30--40% off. about $15.

readers.com..china.jpg

speaking of sweeteners... here is something i did recently that kinda surprised me. the Bagel Store i go to for morning coffee and work on the daily crossword stopped carrying Sweet'N Low. i have it at home, but i recently i ran out for a while and started drinking straight black coffee. it's ok, but i did miss the sweetener. however, after a while when i replenished my stock, i started using one pack instead of two. compared to black, it's much, much more tasty (to me), but now i've managed to cut the amount of sweetener i use in half and i don't miss it at all.

bought a neat toy a few days ago. yes, i can get AAA to come out and jump start my car, but last time it took 90 minutes before someone showed up. for $170, i now have a portable jump starter i can keep in the trunk on trips. it will also act as a USB charger and is able to power anything that has a 12v cigarette lighter-type plug.

Integrated Supply Network LLC_SOLJNC325xx1200Wx1200Hxxa0f9db.jpg

time to think about the 2024 solar eclipse. 8 April 2024 ... coming up on a year away and most hotels don't accept reservations more than a year in advance. i was considering Erie, PA... the path hugs the southern coast of Lake Erie, but it's going to be April and Erie averages 10 days of rain in that month. i was trying to avoid Texas, but it looks like that might be the best place to get a clear sky.

2024 Eclipse Maps

from all the news stories about it, i get the feeling i might be the only person in the world who doesn't have TikTok on my phone.

still not sure how some foreign govt is going to get any smarter by snagging my personal information.

have to say i was a bit embarrassed by our congresspeople verbally attacking that TiKTok CEO yesterday. my feeling is that TikTok does gather information (cookies) on users.... the same as any site does... to supply targeted advertising. i have no idea where these politicians grew up, but i recall Saturday morning cartoons back in the days of no internet and if that wasn't targeted advertising to kids even then, these guys must have had some serious memory lapses from their childhood.

do i trust the Chinese govt to be 100% honest? ... not really... but as i said before, the only information i upload to social media is my first name... sometimes. do i get targeted advertising..? yes, i see it every day. rather than bitch about it, i usually laugh it off.

i had to look up the German word Oster and discovered it means Easter...
ok ... then how the heck did they come up with the name on my blender... ??

and yes, i still use my inherited 60 year old blender... from the days when things were made to last.

H8897-L291913795_original.jpg

that is actually a stock image i found, but mine is identical to that model. i've seen some for sale, but not nearly in the condition mine is. my mom took great care with all the appliances she had. i still use a meat slicer and electric citrus juicer that are likely just as old and still in mint condition. in the mid 50's plastic was just hitting the market. everything was stainless steel and ceramic and designed to last. i often have a laugh when i visit an antique store and see things i still use regularly selling as antique collectibles... :)

Back