Flyer's diary

knife sharpening this morning. been ignoring them and now i feel much safer.
sounds backwards, but dull knifes are much more dangerous than sharpened ones.

i had to take the test to renew my firearm safety certificate today ... $25 the state saps you every 5 years so you can remember firearms are dangerous, and while i still can't buy the 15 round magazine the manufacturer designed for my 9mm pistol, i could have plunked down $620 and walked out the door with a CA legal flame thrower. ...it's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

IMG_5350.JPG

an activity that always seems to get my mind off food... got some spring planting done yesterday. decided to take a break from mostly peppers (still have one ghost plant that survived winter neglect & still looking strong)... going with flowers (some edible) and giving strawberries a try.

May daze.jpg

being a firearm owner & regarding the leaked Supreme Court position that will untimately result in a restriction (deemed by mostly men) on women's rights, i've got to laugh at the reasoning that it's better to let every one of our 50 states make radically different and independent laws of their own. yeah... that's worked so well with firearms. ... morons.

the roasted Brussels sprouts and tomatoes turned out great. i added some corn which only made it better and more colorful, i tend to deviate from published recipes almost all the time, but one thing i do pick up and somewhat follow are the cooking times and temps. 425° for 30 minutes ... mighty tasty..! ( ...with 3-4 more servings in the fridge.)

Roasted BS & T.jpg

i love "catch-up" days. most days i only sleep about 6 hours, but once in a while i get up... decide it's not enough... and fall asleep for another 4-5 hours. when i do finally fully wake up, before i know it, it's 2-3 pm and i miss all those morning hunger episodes... totally manageable, but always annoying.

annual blood tests are in and things couldn't look better. finally cracked the A1C = 5.6 threshold. the past three years it's dropped by a tenth point each year, but at 5.6 i'll finally avoid all the "let's do something about your A1C" reminders ad nauseam. cholesterol was 136 mg/dL and triglycerides were at 55 mg/dL ... both apparently well under critical levels.

i feel sorry for people who don't cook. i got a great deal on family packs of chicken breasts yesterday (buy one package of 4 and get another one free)... net about $1.90/ lb. with the oven full and working hard this morning the aroma coming from the kitchen is something i doubt you'd get with Grubhub delivered food. i'll freeze a few lbs... maybe make a burrito filling mix out of some. for $20, i'll probably get 15-18 meals out of only about an hour or so of prep work and clean up.

yowza...! it only took me 60 years to realize you can get some mighty tasty roasted vegetables and hyper-flavored stock for no extra energy when you roast chicken.

IMG_5790.JPG

Last edited:
good chance i'm starting a multi-day fast today. i just hit 24 hours. when i'm agitated i tend to lose my appetite and watching the news today has taken care of that. hardest part... i know there's some tasty food in the fridge. we'll see.

ed: later that same evening... oh well... had ¾ of a sandwich and some carrots & onions... then a few soy beans. essentially an OMAD day. did make it to about 30 hours.... a good minor cleansing fast.

Last edited:
Happy Canada Day..!

so i've been here before. just passed about 24 hours of fasting. my failure has always been around 30 hours... sadly, usually not because i'm hungry, but more than often, just bored and food is so tasty. the biggest problem is that it totally screws up the following day, or two. the plan this evening is to avoid the kitchen at all cost.

Back