Flyer's diary

i felt like having a change from basic steamed vegetables so i came up with a version of the classic vegetable casserole with some sharp cheddar and a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. checking labels i found this interesting... the 100 calorie/ serving low sodium vs. the "Healthy Request"versions.

Cream of Mushroom comp.jpg

despite the lower number... 2/3 of the calories of the Healthy Request recipe come from carbohydrates, compared to 1/3 for the Low Sodium version. the HR does add potassium, but it also adds an extra gram of sugar. low fat is typically compensated by added sugar.

i buy frozen corn and peas, but there's no reason not to buy fresh carrots. 2lbs... 4 cups chopped to steam or throw into casseroles. in the fridge they will last a week. ...and a baggie full of sticks for desserts (intermittent snacking?)... :) skin on for the added nutrition, wash and chop... maybe 10 minutes total. can be done waiting for a pot of coffee to brew... (confirmed).

IMG_5095.JPG

roast short ribs w/ carrots and with carrots already prepped, it only took about 5 minutes to trim the ribs a bit and throw this together. simple BBQ sauce... soy sauce + ketchup mainly... some rice vinegar, chili powder and just little brown sugar. in retrospect i should have diced up an onion. two hours to roast covered at 350°, uncover for the last 20 minutes; at least 6-8 meals ... yummie. :)

Short Ribs and carrots.jpg

Last edited:
hunger is so weird. yesterday afternoon i was battling my brain to keep from ordering a pizza since i had nothing but some carrot stix in the house, but i didn't even eat those and haven't eaten a thing since and now 24 hours later, i shopped this morning and the house is full of food but i'm not feeling that hungry.

Last edited:
hunger is so weird. yesterday afternoon i was battling my brain to keep from ordering a pizza since i had nothing but some carrot stix in the house, but i didn't even eat those and haven't eaten a thing since and now 24 hours later, i shopped this morning and the house is full of food but i'm not feeling that hungry.
Hunger is weird that way, probably because its not always hunger really. I can feel hungry even after eating a lot, or not when I haven't eaten in a while... Can't really trust my hunger meter.

Good to see you are still here, I always enjoy your posts. I am going to try and stick around this place has helped me a lot.

i'd like to say this is an high anomaly, but it's actually a new low on the way back to the 160's. for a couple of reasons these past few months i got uncomfortably close to my red line of 177 (BMI 25+), but especially since shortbread is off the menu until next Christmas season, it hasn't been a hard trip, although i did forget how slow the last few lbs can be until i reach a stable weight again.

02.24.22..170.0.jpg

i can split hunger into two sorts (for me)... physical and mental. the physical is that empty stomach feeling. it's often the most distressing, but again with me, it's the fastest to fade. the mental comes from my cooking. i really enjoy a lot of things i make and i am always trying to talk myself into eating for no reason at all. luckily i think intermittent fasting works a lot better than calorie restriction here. if i stick to IF i know there are certain times i cannot eat, ... period. if i was calorie restricting, i would definitely be more inclined to eat ... even if in small quantities ... at any time.

can't believe that some days i can't even find one pair of reading glasses, and then there are days like this...

readers.jpg

all from readers.com - The Brookside.
i cannot oversell these readers.
i used to break drug store readers every other month.
i've has a few of these for well over a year.

i use 4 different powers (when i can find one) ...
reading in daylight (1.5x) ... computer (1.75) ... reading in dim light (2.0x)... iPhone games (2.5x)

Last edited:
the worst i've had happen to a readers.com pair was having the hinge screw work its way out, but remarkably i found it and a quick repair returned them to the bunch. only one pair i retired due to excessive scratches, but those were well over a year old and i can't say i take exceptional care of them... usually just stuck in my pocket when i go out. the ones that stay at home remain in fine shape.

i like the brookside style also because they don't have those separate nose pads... they are built into the frame. i get different colors so i can more easily identify the magnification power.

another good part about weighing yourself everyday, you can dispel some myths.
did i actually gain 3½ lbs in less than 24 hours? ...of course not.
but it is easy to misjudge your actual condition if you pick the wrong day.

the only exception i would make would be for someone just starting off with a major change in diet or exercise. definitely give yourself 2-3 weeks before you start believing any scale readings.

02.28.22..173.0.jpg

another good part about weighing yourself everyday, you can dispel some myths.
did i actually gain 3½ lbs in less than 24 hours? ...of course not.
but it is easy to misjudge your actual condition if you pick the wrong day
Very true. It has also made me better and picking the time my weight is usually lowest, first thing in the morning. I can gain 5 pounds from getting up to just after dinner. Then it usually goes away overnight.

senior's day at the market today... 10% off 1st and 3rd Wednesdays.

i sometimes remark that you don't lose muscle through fasting, but i have to qualify that... you probably do lose muscle you don't need anymore. i used to carry around 50+ extra lbs than i do now, but now toting 2 chickens back from the store across the street (only 13 lbs) doesn't wear me out, but i'm certainly glad to get them home and put them down.

chicks.jpg

now for the second challenge... lifting my cast iron roasting pan with these two guys along with a few lbs of carrots and potatoes.

i need to get a 2nd shingles shot soon and i wanted to see the scale reading with street clothes... not as bad as i thought.
03.02.22..street.jpg

+4½ lbs... glad it's becoming t-shirt weather already.
03.02.22..169.5.jpg

i'm getting pretty good at veggie casseroles. most, if not all of this one is going into the freeze dryer, though, along with some roasted chicken. my nuclear war preparedness ticked up a notch this past week. (just kidding... i'm very close to a major target).

ci veggie casserole.jpg

Back