Flyer's diary

re: "Russian" vodka... i don't really blame people for getting this wrong, but it's sad that broadcast news isn't correcting this...

"For example, some bar owners are protesting the invasion by dumping out Stoli Vodka. Problem is, it's only Russian by name, which is loosely translated as "capital city" due to its origins in Moscow. The vodka is actually made in Latvia, and the company's headquarters is in Luxembourg — a member of NATO which has spoken against the Russian invasion.

Smirnoff is another brand being confused as being Russian. Although it traces its heritage to 19th century Russia, the company has long been owned by British spirits giant Diageo (DEO) and is manufactured in Illinois."

&^%*# ...

03.03.22..172.5.jpg

this was a surprise this morning... i'm sure it wasn't here a week ago.

IMG_5230.JPG

according to a Google search, it might eventually look like this,
though i've seen a variety of shades from red to yellow.
aloe flower.jpg

well this past week i have seen 169.5 3-4 times and i haven't seen anything over 173.0, but i sure would like to get some headway into a lower 160 reading. i can see the frustration people have if they start at just barely overweight. when i started from a BMI of close to 32, at least the first 4 months seemed to show great results before it started to dramatically slow around BMI of 26. now i'm starting again lower than that and trying to work my way back to a 23.

03.13.22..169.5.jpg

i can never remember being in this narrow a range before... 169.5 to 171.5 every day now. critically i've got to admit, i believe merely my disregarding IF rigidly, even one day out of 4 or 5 seems to be holding me from pushing my weight window any lower. at a BMI of <25 i'm convinced your body will do anything it can to put on a lb or two of fat. i also blame my inactivity which would probably make things easier... but spring is here... my habits usually change to more outdoors. outdoors means busier and i know what that means.

03.21.22..171.5.jpg

after bolting up in a few days, this guy is taking forever to bloom.
IMG_5250.JPG

Do you get lots of spider webs in this plant, Flyer? Mine is constantly covered in them.
oh yes... there must be some really determined one there. every day there is a string of webs over to the neighboring plants. most of the time i let them be, but with some sort of flowers falling off a neighboring tree, it gets a picture too cluttered up. i'm sure something will be back tomorrow. i really don't blame them... that plant makes quite the fortress.

having a busy weekend which always helps plus although i haven't seen it in the numbers yet, this morning i moved back from #3 to the 4th belt hole.... something i was starting to see last summer, but a minor milestone which didn't last through the winter.

geez... i've been finding 93% lean ground beef on sale so often i had to check to make sure frozen hamburger could last in the freezer. consensus says it is best to use in 4 months, but it can last indefinitely. subtle difference? made up some meatballs with the last few lbs just for a little change of pace.

yes, i do see ridiculous prices on meat. yesterday i saw rack of lamb going for $22/ lb... yikes. years ago i remember often being able to pick up an entire slab of Filet Mignon, but now i'd probably have to take out a 2nd mortgage to do that regularly. and unfortunately most fish is also in the stratosphere of pricing, but i still find something reasonably priced every time i shop.

my best tip... wait until you get to the market before you decide on a dinner menu.

Here people are saying "right?" at the end of sentences. One of my bugbears is "from the get-go." What was wrong with the good old "start?"

i'm actually a fan of the Canadian, ...eh? ... but likely because i don't hear it very often.

i finally decided to do something about two useless kitchen cabinets.
i probably could have built this, but it would just be another thing on my ever growing to-do list.

my cabinet is a lot worse than the picture.
mine are split into two 10" high, 23" deep spaces.
still going to be a bit of a challenge to install.

Wood Pull Out Drawer.jpg

so i'm swearing off Amazon for a while. this morning i saw our condo security guard with an armload of packages that were misdelivered to an address not even close and while we were chatting another two of my neighbors joined in the conversation about their re-delivering Amazon packages. and even if the get the right address, the lazy bums they hire are leaving the packages by the curb, not even bothering to bring them up a few steps to the door where they could be seen. i hope they pay their customer service guys a good wage, because i called them for a third time and gave one an earful about their delivery personnel.

i suppose there is an upside to not losing weight and it's not gaining any either. i took a week or so of weighting myself every day and it's still in the 170 ballpark. i probably have to credit beer. i didn't have one from March 2020 until March 2021, but i can't say that about this past year. frankly 170 still keeps me at a BMI of 24, so i shouldn't feel that bad about it. it's just that at 165 i had a much bigger safety net. i'm still hoping the summer brings more activity. that might do the trick.

04.10.22..170.5.jpg

the flowers are plugging along... probably another few weeks before i see some buds.
IMG_5331.JPG

Back