Flyer's diary

*ouch*... my first $70+ tankful of gas.
frankly i wasn't even aware my tank could hold 15 gallons..!

IMG_4773.JPG

luckily my daily retirement commute is 0.00 miles.

unnecessary panic buying...
fresh vegetables are still plentiful, but the mindless panic buyers have all but wiped out frozen.
...idiots.

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

Last edited:
i just looked up "Ted Lasso biscuit recipe" and it sure looked familiar... very close to my own shortbread..! i hope people realize that the process of making shortbread is actually more important than getting the ingredients measured out correctly.

i like the idea of the little boxes, though... :)

ted lasso biscuits.jpg

tip for those who are going to print up the boxes (you can find them online, too)...
shortbread contains a huge amount of butter that will definitely soak through a box like that if left in there for any length of time.

could not find the right boxes for sale online, but i did find the plans for a Ted Lasso biscuit box (4" x 2 5/8" x 1 7/16")...

and as i was thinking about what material to use, that cartoon light bulb clicked on over my head... there is a doughnut shop right next to the bagel store, so i asked them for a few of their pink boxes to cut up. for a first try, i like it...!

Ted Lasso biscuit box.jpg

back to the doughnut shop for more boxes... all that sugar....amazing.
IMG_4782.JPG

cranking away... 7 more this morning... 11 down... ??? to go.
IMG_4783.JPG

gifting my shortbread this year might be a little more fun than usual... :)

with my mind on the Ted Lasso boxes, i've also been looking at some of the so-called shortbread recipes on the net given in those write-ups and was amazed at some of the ingredient proportions given. many have wayyyyyyyy too much sugar. one i've found by the Healthy Hearty Kitchen folks that i can recommend has the exact same proportions i use. believe me, i've never gotten a negative review.

Buttery Shortbread Biscuits

not sure how to process this so it's more of simply a comment... though i'm glad my dating years are slightly over the horizon. sitting across from a couple at the bar... he ordered what looked like some sort of burger... she was definitely having the Prime Beef Dip.

IMG_4822.JPG

when they left, there was more than half her sandwich left. ok... everyone knows restaurant portions are huge, but on a date... ask to wrap up the leftovers and most guys will agree, ... that's either your wife, or it's your last date with her.

unfortunately this downtown restaurant is not that atypical... so many menu prices are up everywhere at least 25-30% from what i've witnessed. since i've been back out drinking beer, i haven't ordered any food when out. pre-pandemic, i wouldn't think twice about the prices... they were always more than "homemade", but now i find them ridiculous. i'm not cheap, but to me it's throwing money away. sad to say a lot of my friends aren't in the same boat as i am... they admittedly cannot cook anything and have no willingness to learn.

btw... notice this is their LUNCH menu... a can imagine there is an additional % increase later in the day ... JUST BECAUSE IT'S DiNNER...???

first double batch only filled 15 boxes... round II later today. i wanted to pick up more boxes, so i took the first one over to the doughnut shop owner this morning. will be interesting to hear his critique.

box-o-biscuits.jpg

i'm using a template to cut the pieces to fit and it worked out rather well with the pans i have to use, but there are a lot more "scrap" pieces than usual so i'm really going to have to be extra good. this could be a real challenge.

too hard to explain, but my saying for today... dumb luck has to be the most pleasing kind of luck. the only downside... it usually happens when nobody is looking.

practice makes (more) perfect... boxes # n-1 and n...!
(i made way too many so i don't want to disclose the actual number... :) )

IMG_4835.JPG

on a dieting note...

over the past month or two i believe i made a good argument to myself for a maintenance intermittent fasting diet. it started when i posed the question to myself... "why am i intermittent fasting when i really don't have any weight to lose?" yes, i know there are BMI numbers lower than 23, but i was beginning to agree with many people who were commenting that i looked unhealthily thin. of course i could see even at that point how some eating disorders are possible. for even at my lowest weight, i could see areas of fat still on my frame.

anyway... here's what i tried. since i didn't want to lose any more weight, i figured i'd ignore IF every once in a while. if i eat my maintenance calories (ballpark), there should be no reason to always go into a fat burning fasting mode.

so here's the catch i discovered... start eating any time of day again, and it's MUCH easier to start overeating. where i was only eating half a sandwich sometimes... now i was sometimes eating one and a bit more. so in a few months i've managed to slowly creep up into the low 170's.

i've since stopped that practice, though with shortbread in the house it's going to be a tough month or two.

we'll see.

kinda sick and tired of hearing about how liberal democrats are destroying our cities siting crime statistics comparing recent crime rates to the unrealistically abnormal year of 2020. luckily it doesn't take a lot of research to see what is really going on. people who misuse statistics to coerce the uneducated into believing thing that are blatantly untrue are despicable.
violent-crime-rate.jpeg

i've had this shortbread mold around for years... i'm pretty sure it was my mom's because i cannot remember buying it... but she never used it either. so i decided to give it a try today. maybe experience, but probably some luck, too... the first one turned out great. every recipe i looked at said to "tap" it out of the mold before baking, but i knew as i was jamming it in that nothing was going to pop that out. so i went to what i always assumed you did and just stuck the mold and all into the over. it's only a 300° oven. after about 30 minutes i thought it might release and sure enough it did, so the 2nd half of the baking went on to finish it off.

i'm going to try to tag-team the rest of the dough... this might take a while regardless.
it's 8" for a point of reference... might cut the next one in 12 pieces.

shortbread mold 01.jpg

isolation/ retirement boredom strikes again...

interesting time happening early this afternoon ... 1:21:22 1/21/22.
watch for this one next month... 2:22:22 2/22/22

Back