Healthy? Doesn't get any healthier than this. Coming in at only 2 carbs, how can you go wrong? Contains a bit of meat, so not for you vegetarian types.
- 2 pounds thick cut bacon
- 2 pounds Italian sausage
- 1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub
- Create a 5x5 square weave of bacon and make it as tight as you can. Add a bit of BBQ seasoning on top.
- Add the two pounds of sausage directly on top of the weave, pressing it out to completely cover the weave.
- Fry the remaining bacon to your desired finish (soft, crispy or somewhere in between). Once they are cooked, you will want to chop or crunch them down to bite size pieces.
- Add the cooked bacon on top of the sausage and add more seasoning and some of the BBQ sauce.
- This next part can be a little confusing, but you are going to roll the sausage and the cooked bacon into a roll, but leave the weave. Pinch together the ends so none of the cooked bacon is coming through.
- Wrap the sausage in the bacon and then place the seam (where the bacon weave meets) on the bottom to keep it tight. Add a little more seasoning and we are ready to BBQ.
- Cook in your smoker at 225 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 165. This is approximately 1h for each inch of thickness and you can expect it to take around 2.5 hours.
- Once complete, you can add some more of the BBQ sauce to coat the entire outside and give it a nice glazed look.
- Cut in rolls & serve.