You can serve this amazing pickles with cocktails or with grilled chicken or fish. Also a great give-away to friends this holiday season!
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups halved yellow baby pattypan squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 black peppercorns
- 12 cilantro sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
- Cook green beans in boiling water 1 minute. Drain and plunge beans into ice water; drain.
- Combine rice vinegar and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until sugar dissolves.
- Combine beans, squash, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour hot vinegar mixture over squash mixture. Toss well. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Note: Squash mixture can be evenly divided among 4 (1-pint) jars. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.