Snapy, creamy and low fat soup great for special occasions!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound carrots, chopped
- 1 whole habanero pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped peeled sweet potato
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek, onion, and carrots; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Pierce habanero several times with a knife. Add habanero, ginger, and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add water and sweet potato; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in orange juice and coriander. Remove and discard habanero.
- Place half of carrot mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a medium bowl; repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Press carrot mixture, in batches, through a large fine sieve into pan; discard solids. Stir honey and salt into carrot mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls; top with low-fat yogurt. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.