Protein packed, low fat curry-lime tofu with ginger mushrooms. The preparation time is super short, but the marinating time can take from 1 hour to overnight.
- One 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 8-ounces fresh shitake or button mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- In a large re-sealable container, mix together the lime juice, the grated ginger, soy sauce, curry powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Slice the tofu crosswise and then in half to create four rectangular pieces, place in lime marinade. Seal lid and marinate for 1 hour or overnight, turning tofu half way through the marinating process.
- Heat the corn oil in a skillet. When oil is hot, lift tofu from marinade with a slotted spatula and pan sear for 5 to 6 minutes, turning over carefully with a spatula so that tofu turns golden and edges crisp slightly. Remove tofu to a plate and keep warm. Meanwhile, cut mushrooms into thick slices. Toss in remaining lime marinade and pour into pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release their juices.
- Serve tofu and mushrooms over rice if desired, and top with green onion.