A tasty dish with an interesting presentation!
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 11-ounce can whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 8 small green, yellow, and/or red sweet peppers
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; add uncooked rice, oregano, black pepper, salt, and paprika. Simmer covered for about 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, corn, and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice tops from sweet peppers; remove and discard seeds. In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish, arrange peppers in a single layer. Spoon rice mixture into sweet peppers; place pepper tops onto rice. Bake, covered, about 30-40 minutes (depending on desired tenderness of peppers) until rice mixture is heated through.